How to graduate with honors at Calvin
You can take as many or as few courses as you like for honors credit, but to graduate with honors distinction, you must meet a number of academic requirements:
- Take six honors courses—two of which must be outside your major.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Fulfill all requirements for graduating with honors in your major (these may include conducting a research study or writing a thesis).
- An "H" grade in a regular Interim (January) course does not count toward the total of six honors courses.
- You can't graduate from Calvin with "general honors" but only with honors in a major.
- Normally, only one honors course may be taken during the final semester of the senior year, unless permission has been granted by the Director of The Calvin Honors Program.
Graduate with honors in two majors
Students who seek to graduate with honors from Calvin College in two majors must complete:
- at least eight honors courses overall (24 hours minimum) with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5;
- at least two honors courses outside of the two major departments; and
- all requirements for graduation with honors in both majors.
Graduate with honors in interdisciplinary and group majors or three minors
Students who seek to graduate with honors from Calvin College in an interdisciplinary major, group major or programs which require three minors must submit a written proposal for approval by the chairs of all the departments which are involved and the Honors Program Director. Approval should normally be sought by the end of the junior year. Proposals must include at least these elements:
- at least six honors courses (18 hours) overall with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5;
- at least two honors courses in each of two departments with grades of B+ or higher;
- an honors research paper or project in each of two departments or a research paper or project on a topic which combines at least two disciplines; and
- signed approval by the chairs of all the departments involved and The Calvin Honors Program Director.