Internal Check Request Policy
An Internal Check Request should be used for all transactions that are prepayment in nature. Examples are: magazine subscriptions, conference registration, and c.o.d. orders. If a form is to accompany the payment, paper clip it to the requisition and indicate on the check requisition form.
Credit cards should be used for this type of transaction whenever possible.
Internal Check Request Prodecure
- Obtain verbal approval from the budget officer (or supervisor if the purchaser is the budget officer) prior to making the purchase.
- Prepare Internal Check Request according to instructions detailed on the reverse side of the form.
- Attach original receipts or other supporting documentation such as registration forms, pro-forma invoices, or web site print screens for all expenditures. Identify the "Three P's" - People, Place, and Purpose for meal and entertainment expenses. Also indicate the general ledger account(s) (x-x-xxxxx-xxxxx) to be charged for each line item listed on the requisition. This should be done in consultation with the budget officer. In the event that an amount exceeding $25.00 is requested without an accompanying receipt or other supporting documentation, the divisional vice president/dean must also sign. Please note: IRS regulations state that failure to submit receipts/supporting documentation requires the employer to report the transaction on the employee's W-2 as wages.
- Sign name at bottom of the Internal Check Request. An original signature is required. No stamps are permitted.
- Obtain budget officer's signature on the Internal Check Request. If the budget officer is the purchaser, then the budget officer's supervisor should provide the second signature.
- Submit the Internal Check Request to Accounts Payable in the Financial Services Office. The check will generally be ready by 1:00 p.m. of the day following receipt of the request form. The check will be distributed per the requisitioner's instructions on the form. If the check is required within a tight time-frame, it is advisable to hand-deliver the form to Accounts Payable. Again, the check will be written the day after the form is received by Accounts Payable.
View the Glossary of Terms and Miscellaneous Information.