Credit Card Policy
Credit cards should be used for ALL travel related expenditures (air fare, lodging, meals, vehicle rentals, fuel expenses, etc.).
Please see the Travel Policy page for complete guidance on travel-related expenses.
Credit cards should also be used for other types of purchases whenever possible.
Under no circumstances should a Calvin credit card be used for personal transactions. Violation of this policy will result in the immediate termination of the card.
Credit Card Application Notes
In order to receive a Calvin College credit card for the first time, an individual will need to complete the PNC Visa Corporate Card Request & Usage agreement (see link to application on http://www.calvin.edu/financialservices/forms/). Please note that the signatures of both the applicant's supervisor and a Vice President or Provost must be obtained prior to turning in the application to Financial Services.
Additionally, it is required that all cardholders complete a Conflict of Interest form (http://www.calvin.edu/financialservices/forms/).
Credit Card Procedure
- Obtain verbal approval from the budget officer (or supervisor if the purchaser is the budget officer ) prior to making the purchase.
- Transact purchase with the credit card. Retain all original receipts. Document the "Three P's" -- People, Place, and Purpose for meal and entertainment expenses.
- Receive monthly credit card statement from Accounts Payable. Attach original receipts for all expenditures and identify the "Three P's" -- People, Place, and Purpose for meal and entertainment expenses. Also indicate the general ledger account(s) (x-x-xxxxx-xxxxx) to be charged for each line item listed on the statement. This should be done in consultation with the budget officer.
- If there are discrepancies or errors, indicate this directly on the statement. Accounts Payable will withhold payment on disputed items. It is the responsibility of the cardholder to settle disputed charges with American Express.
- Sign name at bottom of the statement. An original signature is required. No stamps are permitted.
- Obtain budget officer's signature at bottom of statement. If the budget officer is the purchaser , then the budget officer's supervisor should provide the second signature.
- Return the completed statement to Accounts Payable within 10 days of your receipt of the statement. A reminder letter will be sent to individuals who have outstanding statements older than 30 days. If the completed statement is still not returned to Accounts Payable after a reminder has been sent, a copy will be forwarded to the divisional Vice President/dean review/approval. If three statements are tardy during the fiscal year, the card may be terminated at the discretion of the Vice President for Administration, Finance, and Information Services.
View the Glossary of Terms and Miscellaneous Information.