Summer Financial Aid

Summer financial aid

Calvin offers several financial aid options if you are planning to take courses at Calvin during the summer. The options are need-based—you need to submit the FAFSA to be considered for these grants and loans.

Types of summer aid

Denominational Grant – This is a grant given to members of the Christian Reformed Church to recognize regular contributions received from families in the denomination. The amount of the grant is $25 per semester hour for Michigan and non-Michigan residents.

  • No separate application is necessary.

Federal Pell Grant – This is a grant funded by the federal government for U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens with high need. Need is determined by filing the FAFSA (Free Application for Student Financial Aid). The Financial Aid Office will determine eligibility. The financial aid forms must be filed to be considered for this grant.

  • Apply for this grant using the summer financial aid application.

Federal TEACH Grant - This is a grant funded by the federal government for U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens who intend to teach. The grant is for those who plan to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.

Federal Direct Subsidized and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans – Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans are low–interest, long term loans for educational expenses. The U.S. Department of Education is the lender for the Direct Loans. The subsidized loan is interest free while the student is in school and continues to be enrolled at least half-time, during the 6-month grace period, and during certain periods of deferment. The unsubsidized loan is not interest-free during the in-school, grace period, and deferment periods.

Most students who complete the FAFSA and who are enrolled at least half-time during the summer are eligible for either of these loans or a combination of the two. A summer loan may affect the amount of loan the student will receive during the following academic year.

Alternative Educational Loans – Alternative Educational Loans - Alternative Loans are available to students who are enrolled less than half-time for the summer term.