What does it take to become a leader?
- Groups may be led by students, staff, faculty or CALL members.
- Groups meet once a week for 10 weeks starting September 12.
- Our hope is that groups will be intergenerational.
- Leaders are encouraged to invite a mix of students, staff and faculty to join their group.
- Group sizes range from 5 to 12 members.
- Groups may meet in places like a dorm basement, Johnny's, a home or a place of your choosing.
You set the time and location for the group.
- Before registering please secure a meeting time, day and location. Rooms can be reserved through conferences and campus events.
- Leaders receive their study materials for free.
- Never been a Bible study leader? Know nothing about Philippians? We still want you to lead. We are providing training for all leaders.
- All leaders must attend one training session:
Thursday, August 26, 2:00-4:00 p.m. Commons Annex Alumni Board Room
Tuesday, August 31, 9:00-11:00 a.m. Commons Annex Alumni Board Room
Wednesday, September 8, 7:00-9:00 p.m. Commons Annex Lecture Hall
Thursday, September 9, 3:30-5:00 p.m. Heimenga Hall 315
- Register for your training session when you register to become a leader or email us at Philippians@calvin.edu
Required Leadership Materials
Leaders will receive all of their materials for FREE at the training session.
- Paul for Everyone: The Prison Letters by N.T. Wright
- "Dwelling with Philippians: A Conversation with Scripture through Image and Word." by the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship
A special collection of additional Philippians commentaries and resources for leading small groups has been created in the Ministries Resources Center at the Hekman Library. View the resources here.
Schedule and Week by Week Group GuidesWeek 1 - September 12-18
- Paul’s Reason for Thanks
- Philippians 1:1-11
- The King is Proclaimed
- Philippians 1:12-18a
- Philippians 1:12-18a
- To Live or to Die?
- Philippians 1:18b-26
- The Gospel in Public
- Philippians 1:27-30
- Unity in Everything
- Philippians 2:1-4
- The Mind of the Messiah
- Philippians 2:5-11
- How Salvation is Worked Out
- Philippians 2:12-18
- On Timothy
- Philippians 2:19-24
- On Epaphroditus
- Philippians 2:25-30
- Warning: Don’t Trust in the Flesh
- Philippians 3:1-6
- Gaining the Messiah
- Philippians 3:7-11
- Chasing on to the Finish
- Philippians 3:12-16
- Citizens of Heaven
- Philippians 3:17-4:1
- Celebrate in the Lord!
- Philippians 4:2-9
- The Hidden Secret
- Philippians 4:10-13
- Closing Thanks and Greetings
- Philippians 4:14-23