We are so excited that you are joining us for our all-campus Bible study of Psalms! Students, staff, and faculty are joining together in small groups to read and study scripture together.
We believe this all-campus Bible study can transform our lives and our community in many ways. Let's see what God will do when our campus gathers together to study his word, pray and love each other!
Schedule and week-by-week group guides:
- Week 1 - September 12-16: Getting the Most Out of Psalms
- Week 2 - September 19-23: Psalm 1 | Praying Our Inattention
- Week 3 - September 26-30: Psalm 2 | Praying Our Intimidation
- Week 4 - October 3-7: Psalm 51 | Praying Our Sin
- Week 5 - October 10-14: Psalm 103 | Praying Our Salvation
- Week 6 - October 17-21: Psalm 23 | Praying Our Fear
- Week 7 - October 24-28: Psalm 137 | Praying Our Hate
- Week 8 - October 31-November 4: Psalm 6 | Praying Our Tears
- Week 9 - November 7-11: Psalm 73 | Praying Our Doubt
- Week 10 - November 14-18: Psalm 150 | Praying Our Praise
Want to dig deeper?
Join us at LOFT, Sunday evenings at 8pm in the chapel where our preaching team will be preaching on the life of David.
The Calvin Symposium on Worship is focusing their worship theme on Psalms. Attend the symposium next January to join with other worshipers and leaders from around the world to grow further with Psalms.
A special collection of additional Psalms commentaries and resources for leading small groups has been created in the Ministries Resources Center at the Hekman Library. View the resources here.
The Calvin Institute of Christian Worship has a page dedicated to the use of Psalms in Worship. Writes CICW director John Witvliet: "From Basil to Bonhoeffer to Bono, the enthusiasm that emanates from wise Christian writers of every historical period points to the Psalms as one of the richest sources of wisdom for the practice of worship."
It's bigger than Calvin
This Bible study reaches beyond our campus. Through our partnership with the off-campus programs, the Psalms study will extend around the world, including Peru, China, and Hungary. In addition, many churches in west Michigan and others across North America will also be studying the Psalms this fall.
Required study materials
Study materials are available for all participants at a discounted rate. Materials can be purchased at the Campus Store. Materials are free for the group leaders.
Psalms: Prayers of the Heart by Eugene Peterson
If you have questions you may contact us at Psalms@calvin.edu or stop by the Campus Ministries office in Commons Annex 150.