Diversity at Calvin
Calvin is a Christian college committed to diversity. What are we doing to make that happen? Check out:
- Grassroots is an intentional living community in a residence hall dedicated to cultivating ethnic identities in Christ.
- The Multicultural Student Development Office promotes cultural awareness by offering support services, programs, opportunities and events for students of color as well as the campus as a whole.
- The International Student Development Office provides support for international students through the International Passport Orientation, year-long programming, and cross-cultural engagement courses.
- Student organizations like the Asia Club, Society of Black Engineers, International Student Association Committee, etc. focus on multiculturalism and diversity.
- Rangeela is an annual variety show produced by Calvin's international students. It celebrates through song, dance and skits the beauty of cultures from all over the world.
Find resources to help you embrace Calvin's commitment to being a diverse community.
- Unlearn Week encourages the Calvin community to “unlearn” the sin of learned racism and focus on how to give Christ-like love to all people.
- The Readers for Reconciliation book group studies ongoing themes of social oppression in popular literature.
- MLK Day events help the Calvin community remember the ongoing struggle to promote equality.
- Office of Multicultural Affairs works towards actualizing Calvin's goal of establishing a campus community committed to multicultural citizenship, anti-racism & accountability, and reconciliation & restoration.
From Every Nation
This guiding institutional document articulates a vision as well as goals and strategies for "transforming Calvin into a college that is always vigilant in recognizing racism, always conscientious in promoting reconciliation, and always active in the work of restoring a healthy multicultural community" (FEN, 8).