Saturday, April 26, 2014
The D&W Fresh Market School Challenge is a community-building contest that promotes fitness and fun at your school.
The D&W Fresh Market School Challenge team with the highest number of participants receives a $250 cash prize from D&W Fresh Market and a trophy. NEW THIS YEAR: a drawing for five $350 gift cards to Village Bike Shop for students, one from each of the five schools with the most registrants (minimum of 25 total registered runners required). Our thanks to Aspen Investment Management Inc. and Village Bike Shop. All winners will be announced at the post-race party.
How can my school participate?
- Find a coordinator to promote your school's participation.
- Promote your team on Facebook, in school newsletters, e-mails, bulletin boards, etc.
- Encourage participants to register online as soon as possible. Choose the D&W Fresh Market School Challenge and your school’s name from the list when registering.
- Use the discount code so the student entry fee is only $15: SCHOOLCHALLENGE14.
- All Calvin 5k Spring Classic rules and benefits apply.
Who can be involved?
- Runners of all ages! You may include teachers, parents, grandparents or other relatives and friends to participate toward your school’s total.
- Children (ages 3–9) may register for the Karen Muyskens Family Fun Run (distances of 100 yards to ½ mile divided by age group) and still be included in the D&W School Challenge and count toward your team total.
What about a Running Club?
The D&W Fresh Market School Challenge is the perfect goal for a school running club. Students train together for fun and fitness. Some schools have had success with the following running club format:
- Meet once or twice a week at recess
- Run/walk laps outside or in gym
- Create a running course in the hallways, gym, or outside
- Use pedometers to tracks steps as motivation and encourage personal goals
- Design team t-shirts to wear on race day
If you have questions about the D&W Fresh Market School Challenge, contact Lori Feenstra, (616) 526-8425.