Calvin University's official student newspaper since 1907

Calvin University Chimes

Since 1907

Calvin University Chimes

Calvin University Chimes

Like Adele, seniors get ready for the other side

Photo courtesy calvin.edu

For many student-athletes, the 2015-2016 school year marks the final year that they will be participating in a varsity sport at Calvin College. Most have dedicated thousands of hours practicing and competing throughout their career. Chimes was able to talk to some of these seniors on the softball team.

“The hardest part about my career as a Knight was knowing that one day I would have to say goodbye to the game I have so much passion for,” said third baseman Ashley Riemersma.

As a college, Calvin says that its mission is to equip students to think deeply, to act justly and to live wholeheartedly as Christ’s agents of renewal in the world.

Catcher Lydia Gildea was asked how her relationship with God has changed after being a part of a team at Calvin.

“I’ve gone through various seasons in my faith throughout my time at Calvin and my time in this program, but I’m certainly more confident in the plan God has for my life. I think I’ve gained a greater understanding of who he is and the ways we can be a beacon of his love through my relationships with my teammates.”

The players described being a part of a team as both a blessing and a challenge. The lessons they learned apply not only on the field, but off the field as well.

Outfielder Caitlin Bell did not see as much playing time as she had hoped her first years at Calvin; however, this did not stop Bell from working hard and setting goals for herself.

“I didn’t settle for the role I had,” said Bell. “I worked hard in order to earn a new one. I set a new standard for myself to work towards and kept that standard growing as I got better.”

Bell believes this work ethic will prove useful when she begins setting future goals.

While being a part of a team, Riemersma said that she also learned some lessons that will apply to her future endeavors.

“I have learned that everyone comes from a different background so it is important to intentionally get to know each person on a personal level,” Riemersma said. “Most importantly, I’ve learned that it is so important to help your teammates in anyway that you can. By doing this, you will not only help improve their performance but you will better the entire team.”

Though these three seniors will be graduating in just a couple weeks, the memories they have made during their time at Calvin will never be forgotten. “Being a part of a team is irreplaceable,” added Riemersma.

Four years of mental and spiritual maturity have aided these seniors in their future journey, and they will always miss the community of Calvin.

“I’ve so enjoyed all the support and encouragement from everyone here and I can’t imagine where I would be today without that,” said Gildea. “I’ll miss the teammates who became friends, the professors who became mentors and this campus that became home.”