Calvin University's official student newspaper since 1907

Calvin University Chimes

Since 1907

Calvin University Chimes

Calvin University Chimes

Letter from the (sports) editor

Photo by Anna Delph

When I joined Chimes last year I wasn’t sure what to expect. All I knew was that I wanted to write for the newspaper and this guy (the amazing 2014-2015 sports editor, Brian Exner) somehow recruited me to write for sports. I love sports, but I knew little to nothing about journalism things and stuff. Week after week, I wrote new articles and I slowly started to realize that Chimes was the perfect home for me.

Well, honestly, I just felt super cool when I’d go to sporting events as a member of the “media.” Though, continuing with the honesty, I was in way over my head. Thankfully a lanyard and media pass can make you think you’re more important than you actually are. The first time I interviewed a player it was Tyler Dykstra right after a basketball game. Now, I’m 6-feet 3-inches. I tower over the average individual. Tyler, however, is five inches taller than me. I recorded his answers to tentative questions asked in my shaky voice, but I’m pretty certain my nervous hands and heavy-breathing drowned out his voice.

Fast-forward to now and I’m in the position that my editor was in last year. I am in charge of everything Chimes sports, and I’m the connection between sporting events and the parents and athletes that want to read about them. I went from an awkward, sweaty and nervous sports writer to an awkward, sweaty and nervous sports editor. I’ll be the first to admit that there is no way I’ve done justice to all of the stories that are out there with the many sports teams at Calvin. I know that I haven’t made everyone happy, but that is okay. I learned early on that you can’t make everyone happy, but gee-willicers did I try my best.

I love Chimes and the wonderful people here who work incredibly hard, from my editor-in-chief to everyone who has written for me (I’m looking at you, Gernant). I would never have felt as close to this campus as I do without my involvement with Chimes and my role as sports editor. It’s not about the money, the resume booster or putting some “respeck” on my name. It’s about the wonderful people.

Thank you to everyone who has spent the briefest second reading this page. Mom, I don’t know if you’re still printing out all of my articles, but you’re the GOAT.