Calvin holds record of most Goldwater scholars in six year span

Photo courtesy calvin.edu

Junior Sam Auyeung recently became Calvin’s 16th Goldwater scholar since 2008, a record that no other undergraduate college has attained in the same amount of time.

The Goldwater award is a national undergraduate science scholarship for incoming juniors and seniors in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) programs, particularly those who are interested in pursuing research.

The award is presented to around 250-300 students each year, and each school is allowed to nominate only four students.

“The four student limit is quite important,” said Auyeung. “Otherwise, MIT would probably have 50 recipients of the award.”

Individuals who win the scholarship receive a monetary award of up to $7,500, which goes toward tuition and costs for the following year.

In addition to the financial support, winners also benefit from the high standing of the award in the scientific community. Professors consider this award one of the most distinguished undergraduate awards.

“In general, [winners] have a much easier time moving on into graduate school because of the prestige associated with the award itself,” said junior Evans Lodge, who won an honorable mention this year.

“[The winners] now have recognition from an outside foundation, no longer just their professors or department recommendations, which has high standards and is well recognized,” agreed Auyeung.

The winning students are thrilled about the opportunities this award brings.

“I was incredibly excited to receive an honorable mention,” said Lodge. “I didn’t really feel like I would get anything at all, so hearing back was a very affirming moment for me. I am planning on pursuing further research work after Calvin, and the Goldwater application process was a helpful and introspective process as a whole.”

“I’m proud to have this distinguishment on my resume,” said senior Susan Hromada, who also won an honorable mention this year.

These students attribute their success to their professors and the quality of the science research programs at Calvin.

“Calvin gives undergraduates opportunities to experience doing work in their field of interest,” said Auyeung. “In mathematics, we do work on current problems in areas of math that are still developing, so it’s a genuine research experience.”

“Calvin’s professors in the science division are top-notch,” added Lodge. “They’ve helped me throughout this process more than anything else. I’ve been amazed at how much support I receive on a day-to-day basis.”

“The ability for undergraduate students to work directly with professors on research projects is an opportunity not found at many larger schools,” said Hromada. “The professor-student collaboration at Calvin leads not only to great research projects but also to meaningful relationships.”

Auyeung credited professor James Turner who mentored and headed the research as an instrumental part of his success.

In addition, Calvin’s Goldwater representative, Dr. Carolyn Anderson of the chemistry and biochemistry department, has played a significant role in the success of Calvin’s Goldwater program, said Hromada.

Dr. Anderson works with nominees to sharpen their applications as well as organizing the nomination process and submittal of all the application materials.

“There are opportunities to be successful in the sciences at Calvin, I would say, because the entire science division works to serve students like myself day in and day out,” said Lodge. “It’s overwhelming in the best way possible.”