Calvin University's official student newspaper since 1907

Calvin University Chimes

Since 1907

Calvin University Chimes

Calvin University Chimes

My friend, the hamster

My friend, the hamster

Recently, my friend and I were told to remove our hamster from the dorms on the grounds that no animals were allowed. This was upsetting to us as we had cared for and loved our hamster, Gordon, for the better part of two months.

Rather than write an article in retribution against the residence life staff who were just doing their job, I have decided to write an article in support of amending the rules on having pets so that hamsters can be allowed to live in community with us.

Now, I understand the complications of having larger pets such as cats or dogs where allergens start to play a role, so I will only argue for allowing hamsters in the dorms. In the Reformed tradition of the church, we are taught to be stewards of God’s creation. By owning a hamster, feeding it daily, cleaning its cage once a week, and making sure it is getting enough exercise, we were doing just that.

One could argue that you could learn responsibility from owning a fish, which is allowed in the dorms, but I claim that a hamster is far more beneficial. The difference is the lovability of each creature. I have owned fish in the dorms before and it was not nearly as gratifying. You cannot hold a fish in your hand or pet it while it sleeps on your lap. You, simply put, cannot love a fish in the same way you can love and care for a hamster.

At a point in our lives where we face the stresses of college such as a full time academic schedule, friend drama, financial burden and sleep deprivation, it was wonderful to be able to return to our hamster Gordon, who loved me and my roommate unconditionally.

We have since found a loving home for this hamster, but we long for the day when Gordon can return to 2nd VanDellen as a welcome member of our community. Please support the responsible ownership of hamsters in the dorms.