Calvin University's official student newspaper since 1907

Calvin University Chimes

Since 1907

Calvin University Chimes

Calvin University Chimes

Do what makes you come alive: a senior profile with David Kuenzi

Photo courtesy David Kuenzi

Those who enjoy the Rent-a-Bike program and many of the sustainability initiatives at Calvin College have David Kuenzi, president of student senate, and the rest of the senate team to thank. Kuenzi’s Calvin experience is soon coming to a close, as he will be graduating this year with a major in economics and a minor in biochemistry. Here, Kuenzi reflects on his time at Calvin and looks ahead to the future.

Chimes: What were some of your favorite moments at Calvin?

David Kuenzi: Some of my favorite moments were the snow apocalypse of my freshman year, winning the 2013 election and building strong and meaningful relationships with many fellow Calvin students.

Chimes: Favorite classes you took here?

Kuenzi: My favorite classes were Art History with Craig Hanson and Econometrics with Kurt Schaefer.

Chimes: What accomplishment are you most proud of? What do you hope will leave a lasting impression?

Kuenzi: I’m most proud of student senate’s new handicap parking signs, the much-needed renovations of the Johnny’s hallway and the Town Hall we hosted with President Le Roy. I hope that senate’s new direction (doing projects that promote redemption in our community and emphasize governance) leaves a lasting impression on the student body.

Chimes: What is one activity you think everyone on campus should participate in?

Kuenzi: Climbing! It’s safe and fun for everyone and is a great experience.

Chimes: Any regrets now that you are leaving?

Kuenzi: I regret not getting more involved with a church in a very consistent way, and would advise everyone to do so!

Chimes: Do you have a word of advice to incoming freshmen?

Kuenzi: Do what makes you come alive. Do what keeps you up at night and fills you with passion. Don’t be afraid to make those things happen. And don’t be too hard on yourself. I don’t know yet, but I’m pretty sure everything ends up working out for people, so don’t stress. Also, go to church! It’s worth it. We need God to keep us grounded and to guide us. We can’t do this without a meaningful relationship with Him.

Chimes: What do you plan to do after you graduate? Where do you see yourself in the long term?

Kuenzi: After graduation I would like to take a gap year in a French-speaking country, then move to a metropolitan area where I can work in finance. I’d like to go back to school for a master’s degree and potentially a law degree. Eventually, I want to go into professional politics and create systemic change in the world and, in doing so, contribute to the kingdom of God.

Chimes: What do you think makes Calvin special? What are some areas where we still need to work towards change in?

Kuenzi: I think Calvin is special because there is a place for everyone here. No matter what your passion is, there are those who want the same thing and are building communities that do that thing. That is special. I am also always impressed with the high quality of Calvin’s education and the well-rounded nature of the Calvin experience. I think that Calvin needs to work towards being more diverse, more sustainable and more willing to live into its propensity to be an incredibly well known and powerful Christian institution. Even though it already is to some extent, there’s more to be done here.