Chimes needs section editors for the 2014-15 academic year. Apply here.

Calvin jumps in national liberal arts college rankings

File photo.
File photo.

This year, Calvin ranked 100th in the U.S. News and World Report and 61st in the Washington Monthly College Guide’s list of best liberal arts colleges. Last year, Calvin ranked 110th in the U.S. News and World Report’s list and 102nd in Washington Monthly’s list.

Washington Monthly College Guide’s list bases their rankings on liberal arts colleges’ social mobility, research and service. U.S. News and World Report’s list is decided by factors such as freshmen retention rates, graduation rates and faculty strength.

“The first thing to notice about our ranking is that we are with a pretty stellar group of nationally known colleges,” said Claudia Beversluis, Calvin College provost. “I am particularly grateful that our rising rankings are based on the successes of our students and the ratings of our peers.”

Hope and four other liberal arts colleges tied Calvin at 100th in U.S. News and World Report, but Calvin beat Hope (137th) in the Washington Monthly College Guide’s list.

However, Russ Bloem, vice president for enrollment management, believes that rankings should not be a main gauge for students when making college decisions.

“We suggest that people not be too focused on ratings and rankings, but rather come out to see for themselves all that Calvin has to offer,” said Bloem.

Calvin also ranked 56th in Washington Monthly’s “Best Bang for the Buck” list. This list ranks liberal arts colleges based on the economic value they give to students.

According to Washington Monthly, this list answers the question: what colleges will charge people like me the least and give me the highest chance of graduating with a degree that means something in the marketplace?

About the Authors

Alden Hartopo

Alden Hartopo is the Chimes campus news co-editor for the 2013-14 school year. He is a junior from Jakarta, Indonesia studying International Relations and Economics. He believes that all forms of journalism function as an indispensable third party to facilitate communication, transparency and dialogue for students, faculty and staff.

View all posts by 

Connor Sterchi

My name is Connor Sterchi and I’ll be one of the campus news editors for the 2013-14 school year. I’m from Crystal Lake, Ill. This is my senior year at Calvin and I’m planning to graduate with a major in writing and a minor in journalism. Writing is my passion and calling, which I hope to fulfill as a journalist and author.

View all posts by 

Comments