Beets-Veenstra looks to win third Chaos Day of last four years

Photo by Anna Delph.
Photo by Anna Delph.

In 2010 and 2011, Beets-Veenstra (BV) took home the gold for Chaos Day. But last year, BV finished in fourth place, failing to achieve a three-peat.

First Beets resident assistant Tyler Mink hopes that BV will turn things around again this year. Mink is a fifth-year senior and an ex-resident of Schultze-Eldersveld (SE), BV’s biggest rival.

But according to Mink, his loyalties now lie with BV, so his previous affiliation with SE won’t be a conflict of interest.

“I was in SE, but I’m a convert now,” he said.

Despite SE’s yesteryear victory and powerhouse reputation in Chaos Day, Mink thinks that every dorm has an equal chance to win.

“I think everybody’s competition, everybody has a chance,” Mink said. “At the arena, I think it all comes down to that moment right there with the people you have.”

As the dorm with the least amount of residents, BV is often seen as the underdog. But don’t let their small numbers fool you. The real test comes from quality, not quantity, said Mink, who is drawing inspiration from a Dwight D. Eisenhower quote.

“It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog,” Mink said. “I believe in willpower. Willpower lets you achieve above your thoughts and your physical capacity.”

About the Author

Connor Sterchi

My name is Connor Sterchi and I’ll be one of the campus news editors for the 2013-14 school year. I’m from Crystal Lake, Ill. This is my senior year at Calvin and I’m planning to graduate with a major in writing and a minor in journalism. Writing is my passion and calling, which I hope to fulfill as a journalist and author.

View all posts by 

Comments