Koster’s Top 10: Best sports stories from Interim
We did not have a print edition of Chimes over interim so we decided to highlight the top 10 sports moments of Christmas through interim break.
10. Women’s basketball has lost only three games in the last two years. They are currently ranked #2. They have held this ranking the past three seasons. This will be the season they reach the title game.
9. Senior Carissa Verkaik broke Calvin’s all-time blocking record in the Saturday’s game against Alma. She has 404 blocks and the previous record was 399.
8. Men’s basketball is having the best season, 17-2, since the 1999-2000 season. Dare I mention that the ‘99-’00 team won the national championship that year…
7. Verkaik became the MIAA’s women’s basketball all-time leading scorer. She currently has 1098 points in conference play and the record was 1051. She will far surpass this record with six MIAA games to go.
6. Men’s basketball is nationally ranked. This is the first time in four seasons that they have made the list. They are currently sitting at 17th.
5.Tom Snikkers is currently 12th on the all time scoring list for men’s basketball. He has 1318 points in his four year career and is 55 points away from eighth on the list. He most recently passed John Mantel, who graduated in 2010.
4. Verkaik became the first woman in the team’s history to reach 2000 points. She accomplished this in a non-conference game against Rochester College where she scored 22 points.
3. Swimming beating Hope. Anytime a team beats Hope, it’s a huge deal. Swimming is no exception — people packed into the aquatic center leaving standing room only. During interim, the women beat Hope 164-136; the men beat that team from the west 146.5-133.5.
2. Women’s basketball beating Hope. It was a close, exciting and tense game. Calvin won 64-59. It was a back and forth game with many lead changes. Hope even went up by six at one point. With the win, Calvin has tied up the series standings for this decade with five wins apiece. Calvin has won the last five home games against Hope.
1. Number one of course has to be Calvin’s men’s basketball demolishing Hope. It was a complete blowout. Calvin won 75-49. A rivalry prank even happened with Calvin students stealing the Hope flag. Overall, a great event.