For the past several years, Calvin College has discussed the expansion of its physical education and athletic facility. Now, the Calvin college Board of Trustees has approved the $35 million Spoelhof Fieldhouse Complex—designed to honor the whole person—serving athletes, students and the campus community alike
Van Noord Arena and Fitness Center
The new air-conditioned Van Noord Arena seats approximately 5,000 people within 175,000 square feet of athletic and event-ready space. This new arena will be located east of the current fieldhouse, a location chosen to respect a diverse woodlot.
Venema Aquatic Center
The growing demand for athletic, instructional, and recreational needs of our students will also be met through a new aquatic center on campus. The Venema Aquatic Center will include:
- 50-meter length, 25-yard width tank size, with a single bulkhead providing capability for multiple simultaneous activities
- Two 3-meter springboards and two 1-meter springboards
- Increased deck size
- Seating capacity to host large competitions
- Additional natural lighting through a glass wall on exterior of building
- A glass overlook between fieldhouse and pool
- New boilers
- New and improved heating and ventilation systems
The Huizenga Tennis and Track Center
The new Huizenga Tennis and Track Center will measure approximately 62,000 square feet and will include four competition tennis courts and a 200-meter indoor running track and multiple field venues for indoor track. It is designed to be a multi-purpose center – the tennis courts can be used for indoor baseball, softball, lacrosse and soccer and for basketball and volleyball practices.
Hoogenboom Health and Recreation Center
With the renovation of the fieldhouse, the health center will be expanded to service Calvin's student needs. The health center will have 6,000 square feet and will be complete with new exam rooms, lab offices, health support resources and health center employee offices.
The old Calvin Fieldhouse, built in 1965, will be converted into a multi-purpose facility. The renovation includes:
- Removing the upper bleachers and north bleachers, creating an open space for full playing courts
- Expanding the human performance laboratory
- Repurposing space for dance activities
- Adding new classrooms
- Adding new offices