March Madness is on! The men's basketball team has made it to the NCAA III Tournament Sweet 16 for the seventh time in school history. Calvin plays the University of St. Thomas (MN) on Saturday, March 16 at 8 p.m. Please cheer on the Knights in person or online: here's how! Check the sports pages for all the latest, including information on the fan bus leaving from campus on Saturday—a few spots remain.
In other sports news, men's basketball coach Kevin Vande Streek was named D3hoops.com Great Lakes Region Coach of the Year, and senior center Carissa Verkaik was named their Player of the Year for the third year in a row. Currently, Calvin holds the lead in the latest MIAA Commissioner's Cup standings. Calvin junior Nicole Michmerhuizen ran the race of her life earning a national runner-up finish in the 5,000 meters at the NCAA III Indoor Track and Field Championships, finishing .09 seconds behind the winner! Read these stories and all sports headlines.
Spark, the quarterly magazine of the Calvin Alumni Association, aims to build relationships with Calvin alumni and friends. The Spring 2013 issue is online now! In it you'll read how, through the practice of law, alumni are "reclaiming the world for Christ." Find out more about the Korean Alumni Network that has recently started, alumni who have interesting stories to share and more about the process for the new strategic plan. With the online edition, you'll be able to click on more information and read additional content.
Contact us if you change your address; have a marriage, newcomer or obituary announcement; or want to submit a class note or letter to the editor.
News & Stories
From the News & Stories page:
- Students are giving their feedback in Calvin's prioritization and strategic planning processes. (There are great photos on that site already!)
- A new exhibition from the Center Art Gallery showcases Russian icons.
- Did you know the The 1960–61 men's basketball team was the first to go through a season undefeated?
Spring break travelsSpring break begins on March 15 at 5 p.m. Here are some of the travels that students have planned:
- The Women's Chorale will be on tour in California from March 15—22.
- Several sports teams will be traveling south.
- Many students will be part of a long tradition of work trips sponsored by the Service-Learning Center.
Alumni and friends activities
All alumni and friends are invited to events held around the country that are planned by regional alumni networks. To see all the events currently scheduled, check the alumni association page. Did you know...
- there's a 5k run/walk held on campus every spring and registration is open now? Or join us as a volunteer!
- association director Mike Van Denend is currently blogging from Israel for Alumni Travel? See other Alumni Travel trips you might like to take!
- the 50-year reunion class of 1963 will celebrate with graduating seniors during Commencement weekend? When's your next reunion?
Inner CompassHave you caught any of the January Series speakers—in person or archived on January Series pages? Now you can watch our interviews with those speakers on INNER COMPASS and on iTunes. Currently you'll find:
*Jenny Yang on Comprehensive Immigration Reform
*Richard Mouw's story of his public apology at the Mormon Tabernacle
*Jeff Van Duzer on "Business Priorities: People or Profit?"
This list will grow as episodes are broadcast, then national broadcasts will begin this summer on 50 public television stations across the country! Inner Compass airs locally on WGVU-TV Sundays at 1:30 p.m. EST. National broadcast topics, dates and times vary. See INNER COMPASS for complete information.
Leadercast: early bird special!
Chick-fil-A Leadercast returns to Calvin on May 10, 2013: "Simply Lead: Strengthen your leadership by simplifying your life." Mark your calendar for an energizing and educational one-day leadership event featuring world-renowned speakers including Condoleezza Rice, Mike Krzyzewski, Jack Welch, and Sanya Richards-Ross, addressing issues that most affect leaders today.
Conference fees of $95 include lunch, refreshments and conference materials. Group rates and discounts for non-profits are available. Take advantage of the early bird special and register by April 1 to receive $5 off per ticket. Register now!