Calvin alumni news and happeningsA lot is going on the Calvin College Alumni Association Facebook page. Did you see the story about Lucas Van Engen '01 who spent the summer traveling across the country...on a lawnmower? And recently, many southern California alumni and friends gathered at Huntington Beach to hangout and cookout.
Future alumni are also making news. Students were working on summer internships all over, up and down the landscape. In 2009-2010, 749 Calvin students interned at 521 different sites.
Here are other cool resources for Calvin you might want to bookmark:
Vimeo - Calvin | Alumni
Twitter - Calvin | Alumni | Calvin News | Knights
Facebook - Calvin | Alumni | Admissions
LinkedIn - Calvin | Alumni
This fall the Calvin community--students, faculty and staff--will be studying Philippians together. Study groups will gather for 10 weeks, using study guides provided by the campus ministries office and books by N.T Wright and the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship. The Sunday evening LOFT services will also dig into these themes.The campus ministries, or Faith, website has full details.
Dale Cooper is chaplain emeritus and adjunct faculty in the department of congregational and ministry studies at Calvin. He has recently begun publishing a column for the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship, Coop’s Column: reflections on the Christian walk, a weekly article that explores numerous facets of corporate Christian worship. He hopes his column will both teach and encourage readers, while promoting dialogue. Read the first three articles he's published so far.
Homecoming and Family Weekend 2010
And in the meanwhile, golfers, please also plan to join us for the 41st annual Alumni Golf Tournament on September 11, 2010!
Did you know that both of Calvin's cross country and soccer teams, plus the volleyball team, were in the NCAA post-season tournament last year? As the teams prepare for action, bookmark the sports page where all the fall sports previews can be found, and also to keep up on the latest news, scores and stats throughout the year. You can also sign up for the daily sports report e-mail or an RSS feed of the action.
Other sports news:
- The first set of NCAA III Regional Rankings conducted by the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association are out and the Calvin men’s and women’s cross country teams are both ranked number-one in their respective regional polls.
- The Calvin women's volleyball team has recently received the Team Academic Award from the American Volleyball Coaches Association for the 2009-2010 season.
- Jeff Febus, sports information director at Calvin, has been named the winner of the Hartman Writing Award by the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association.
- The Venema Aquatic Center is a busy place in the summer months for coach Dan Gelderloos.
Have you heard about Calvin Alumni Travel for alumni and friends of Calvin? Trips planned include:
- "Paul’s Missionary Journeys in Turkey and the Seven Churches of Revelation," March 31 - April 12, 2011
- "River Cruise through France",” May 15 - 22, 2011, which has early-bird booking and pay-in-full incentive deadlines. A video promotion for the France trip is now available.
- “China: Past and Present,” October 24 through November 7, 2011. The Beijing "Bird's nest" Olympic stadium is pictured at right.
Upcoming events, speakers
Did you know that the lineup for the January Series speakers is almost complete? One of the speakers for January 2011, Temple Grandin, was featured at the Emmys this past weekend.
The Student Activities Office tries to accomplish two goals in all of its programs: it seeks to help students engage with popular culture and to discern the positive and negative messages contained within. It also strives to provide a season of concerts, films, lectures and other programs that allow Calvin students to interact with the best and the brightest artists of a wide array of genres. See their site for an event listing.
The music department also hosts many events all year long. Bookmark their event page to keep track of who's performing when and where.
Want to keep track of on-campus programs and events open to the public? The Calvin-Connection is an e-mail newsletter sent regularly to friends and neighbors of Calvin College. If you would like to receive this e-mail, please visit the community relations site. Your e-mail address will be kept private and never be sold.
And the Covenant Fine Arts Center will be ready to host events again soon. See the progress being made!
Did you know there are many faculty and staff profiles available on News & Stories.