Spark subscription, alumni stories
Homecoming and Family Weekend, choral retreat
And in the meanwhile, golfers, please also plan to join us for the 41st annual Alumni Golf Tournament on September 11, 2010!
Campus-wide Bible study
This fall the Calvin community--students, faculty and staff--will be studying Philippians together. Study groups will gather for 10 weeks, using study guides provided by the campus ministries office and books by N.T Wright and the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship. The Sunday evening LOFT services will also dig into these themes.
Parents are invited to follow along individually or are welcome to use these resources to lead a small group in their church, workplace or community. The campus ministries website provides links to order books and download study guides. Hope College and congregations from Michigan to Washington will also be studying Philippians with us this fall. Won't you join us, too?
Dale Cooper is chaplain emeritus and adjunct faculty in the department of congregational and ministry studies at Calvin. He has recently begun publishing a column for the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship, Coop’s Column: reflections on the Christian walk, a weekly article that explores numerous facets of corporate Christian worship. He hopes his column will both teach and encourage readers, while promoting dialogue.
"I want these weekly articles to teach. Worshiping God worthily demands careful thinking about what we’re doing, and why. I also hope that they encourage. Accordingly, as I write each one, I shall offer a prayer that what I write and you read equips us to live more faithfully and as God intends."
Read the first three articles he's published so far, "There I Have Pledged to Set My Foot, Too"; "God Everlasting"; and "O!" You may want to bookmark this page to follow him on the journey, too.
Calvin Alumni (and friends, family) Travel
Have you heard about Calvin Alumni Travel for alumni, friends and families? Trips planned include,
- "Paul’s Missionary Journeys in Turkey and the Seven Churches of Revelation," March 31 - April 12, 2011
- "River Cruise through France",” May 15 - 22, 2011, which has early-bird booking and pay-in-full incentive deadlines. A video promotion for the France trip is now available.
- “China: Past and Present,” October 24 through November 7, 2011.
News and stories from campus and beyond
- A passion for ministry and communication landed Calvin senior Brian Speelman with summer internships with ReFrame Media—the English-language ministries of the Back to God Hour Ministries International.
- CAS professor Randy Bytwerk's collection of Nazi propaganda is a Google top hit. But why does he track students with motion detectors? (See photo at right.)
- Steve Brink never wanted to travel. Then he got a summer internship in Germany.
- Professor of English Lew Klatt thought he was in for a long publishing haul. Instead, his poetry collection took a major prize.
- Jeff Febus, sports information director at Calvin, has been named the winner of the Hartman Writing Award by the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association.
- "It was a good idea, it made a lot of sense, and it's always good to listen to our students because they're bright people." - Calvin vice president Henry DeVries speaking in an interview with Business Review West Michigan about the Calvin Energy Recovery Fund.