The application process for Legacy Scholarships is closed. Scholarship recipients have been selected, so no further applications can be accepted.
Each year, almost 40% of incoming Calvin students are children of Calvin alumni, known as "legacy" students. To celebrate the legacy of Calvin attendance in succeeding generations, the Calvin Alumni Association annually awards at least 36 scholarships of $500 each to students who are third-generation (or more) legacy students. These are one-time scholarships to be used the student's first year at Calvin. To apply, students must meet these basic requirements (and then final decisions are based upon the essay response question):
- students applying to Calvin as high school seniors and admitted to Calvin by February 1
- candidates must have at least one parent plus at least two additional direct ancestors (a second parent, grandparents, great-grandparents) who are alumni
- "Alumni" are defined as those who have attended Calvin for at least the equivalent of two full semesters.
- Alumni siblings, cousins and aunts/uncles are not considered director ancestors for the purpose of this scholarship.
- Examples: Students would meet the Legacy Scholarship criteria if they had a) 2 alumni parents + one alum grandparent or b) 1 alum parent + 2 alum grandparents or c) 1 alum parent + 1 alum grandparent + 1 alum great-grandparent
- minimum 3.0 GPA
Application deadline: February 1 of a student's senior year of high school
Note: This application must be filled out by the prospective Calvin student, not his/her relatives