February 2, 2014: The Legacy Scholarship application process for students entering Calvin in fall 2014 is closed. No further applications will be accepted.
Each year, almost 40% of incoming Calvin students are children of Calvin alumni, known as "legacy" students. To celebrate the legacy of Calvin attendance in succeeding generations, the Calvin Alumni Association annually awards scholarships of $1500 each to students who are third-generation (or more) legacy students. These are one-time scholarships to be used the student's first year at Calvin. This is a competitive scholarship process; scholarships are not automatically awarded. To apply, students must meet these basic requirements, and then final selection of scholarship recipients is based upon the essay response question:
- students applying to Calvin as high school seniors and admitted to Calvin by February 1
- candidates must have at least one parent plus at least two additional direct ancestors (a second parent, grandparents, great-grandparents) who are alumni
- "Alumni" are defined as those who have attended Calvin for at least the equivalent of two full semesters.
- Alumni siblings, cousins and aunts/uncles are not considered direct ancestors for the purpose of this scholarship.
- Examples: Students would meet the Legacy Scholarship criteria if they had a) 2 alumni parents + one alum grandparent or b) 1 alum parent + 2 alum grandparents or c) 1 alum parent + 1 alum grandparent + 1 alum great-grandparent
- minimum 3.0 GPA
Application deadline: February 1 of a student's senior year of high school
Note: This application must be filled out by the prospective Calvin student, not his/her relatives