Outstanding Service Awards are presented by the Calvin Alumni Association to give recognition to those individuals and organizations who have given outstanding service to Calvin.
Established: November 1967.
Source of Nominations
- The members of the staff of the college and seminary should be asked to submit names of those who have been of outstanding service.
- Ministers should be encouraged to submit names of those whom they judge to be worthy of consideration for this honor.
- Chapters, committees, and contact people should be invited to submit names.
- Alumni Association Board members should each nominate a candidate or candidates.
- Requests for names should be repeated each year. A cumulative list may be kept from year to year as a source for future nominees.
Committee to Select Award Recipients
- The Outstanding Service Award Committee will be configured annually by the Executive Committee of the Alumni Association Board.
- The Executive Director of the Alumni Association will serve ex officio as a non-voting member and secretary.
Criteria for Selection of Award Recipients
- Recipients need not be alumni.
- Recipients must not currently serve on the staff of the college or seminary, unless the service rendered to the college, seminary, or Alumni Association is far beyond that person's traditional role at the institution.
- The service must be voluntary and of direct benefit to Calvin and its related activities.
- Services such as the following should be considered.
- Assistance in securing faculty members.
- Assistance in recruiting students or securing employment for graduates.
- Assistance in fundraising drives.
- Promotion of legislation or public relations.
- Service to the Alumni Association.
- Service on boards, guilds, Knollcrest Festival, and so on.
- All areas, types, and levels of service should be considered, and the award should be given concurrent with such service.
- The service should be over an extended period of time and not be associated with a restricted date or brief period of time.
- Organizations or groups, such as alumni chapters, may be nominated when it is more appropriate to honor a service collectively rather than identifying one person from that group. Of course, an individual from the group will have to accept the award, but it is for the organization, not just one person.
The Outstanding Service Award Committee will recommend to the Alumni Association Board for approval the names of recipients for up to three awards.
Presentation of the Award
- The award will normally be presented at Homecoming.
- The Alumni Association will reimburse recipients for travel expenses incurred in accepting the award.
- If a presentation at Homecoming should prove impossible, the presentation may be made at some other time or at a Calvin event in the recipient's area.
Submit a nomination on-line. Nominations for the award may be submitted at any time. The closing date for nominations for any year is October 1 of the fall preceding the year the award is given.