Using your American Express for travel
Travel expenses are consolidated via the American Express credit card (Amex). The Amex payment system benefits the college by reducing cash use, leveraging cash float, improving documentation, streamlining administration, and providing reports to help manage travel expenses. Amex is to be used only for college business expenses; use of your college American Express Card for personal purposes is absolutely forbidden . Also included in the Amex payment system are:
- 24-hour college business travel accident insurance protection with benefits of $350,000. Coverage is in effect from the time you leave home until you return.
- Charging transportation expenses to the Amex card activates baggage insurance coverage. This plan provides up to $500 coverage over the airline settlement for checked baggage, provides up to $1,250 coverage for carry-on baggage and provides up to $1,250 coverage for baggage while traveling to and from the terminal in a taxi, bus or airport shuttle.
- Medical or legal referrals, medical or legal appointments assistance in the event of a language barrier, advances up to $5,000 for hospital admission, and urgent messages sent to family, friends or business associates.
- Weather reports, exchange rates, visa requirements, customs and inoculation information for your destination.
- Emergency card replacement, assured reservations, express check-out, emergency funds express, buyer's assurance and a purchase protection plan.
- The annual $55.00 membership fee for Amex has been waived indefinitely for Calvin College given our dollar volume and prompt payment history.
If your position requires the use of an American Express card for college-related expenses, including travel or other business-related purchasing, and you do not have a card; contact your department chair/supervisor.