Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content

My Travel: Travel by Land

Travel by land to your destination

If your destination is relatively close to Calvin, so that the cost of driving is less than that of flying, consider renting a car through the physical plant or taking a train.

Renting a car

Calvin's physical plant can reserve a rental car for your business-related domestic travel.

Request a vehicle at least 48 hours in advance using the physical plants online request form »

See also:

Travel using your own vehicle

You may use your personal vehicle for college travel if your trip does not exceed these day and mileage limits:

Days 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Miles 125 251 377 502 628 753 879 1,004 1,130 1,255 1,381 1,506 1,631

Calvin's policy on traveling with your own vehicle »


Document mileage, beginning and ending location, parking fees, road tolls and any other expenses directly related to your trip in your Travel Expense Report.

Download a Travel Expense Report »

MAC users: download a Travel Expense Report »


Anyone using a personal vehicle at any time for college-related travel must carry the following as minimum insurance coverage on their personal vehicles:

  • Liability: $100,000 per person, $300,000 per occurrence, and
  • Collision: standard, with $500 deductible liability insurance on their personal vehicles.

More on Calvin's travel-related insurance policy »

Rail Travel

Rail travel is considered a viable travel option.

Calvin's travel services office can assist you with making a train reservation with Amtrak.