Faculty Development Reading Group and Summer Workshop
Reading Group: Spring semester 2012
Summer Workshop: Wednesday May 30 – Friday June 1, 2012
This collaboration is a Calvin faculty development initiative to weave issues of sustainability across the Calvin curriculum in multiple disciplines. It expands the work begun through the Calvin Environmental Assessment Program (CEAP). Participants will be expected to participate in a reading group during the Spring semester 2012. During the summer workshop, participants will design course content to include sustainability themes and objectives.
- Gail Heffner
- Matthew Heun
- Clarence Joldersma
Application Process and Deadline
Faculty members who wish to expand an existing course or develop a new course with a focus on sustainability are encouraged to apply. Click here to download an application form. Completed applications should be submitted to Gail Heffner at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 13, 2012. Normally, four faculty members from each of the Academic Divisions are selected.
Speakers, multimedia, small and large group discussions, individual and collaborative work, site visits
Benefits for faculty participation
- Review best practice teaching strategies
- Network with faculty from other disciplines
- Improve course evaluations
- Develop alternative course/student assessment strategies
- Research, conference presentation, and publication opportunities
- Contribute to Calvin’s sustainability goals
- A stipend of $300 will be paid for participation in the 2012 Spring semester reading group, attendance at the summer workshop, and submission of a completed syllabus or assignment including an assessment strategy.