Tips for reducing your waste off campus:
- Compost fruit and vegetable remains, eggshells, and grains.
- Take active steps to reduce the volume of junk mail you receive. Read catalogs online. Contact the senders directly or use a catalog management site like www.catalogchoice.org to manage which catalogs you read and how you read them.
- Stop the credit offers. This is good security for identity theft and temptation management as well. Go to the Consumer Credit Reporting Industry Opt in/ Opt Out site or call the number toll free: 888-567-8688. A voice-activated system allows you to remove your name and address from most mailed credit offers. You can opt in again at any time by calling the same number.
- Receive your various financial statements and bills electronically. This saves paper and reduces costs for the senders.
- City of Grand Rapids Recycling—For information on how to recycle using Grand Rapids’ FREE two-bin recycling system, see www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us.
- Kent County Recycling information—www.accesskent.com.
- Valley City Disposal—Fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury and are considered hazardous. Mercury is very toxic to humans and animals and requires proper disposal procedures. Call Valley City Disposal, 1040 Market Street, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, (616) 235-1500.
- West Michigan Environmental Action Council (WMEAC)—Project Light Change, Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) Recycling Locations - West Michigan.