Bringing Christian Values into the Financial World
Numbers, people, finance, economics: accounting encompasses all these things, but is much more. This challenging and exciting field offers outstanding opportunities for Christians to provide transformational leadership.
Calvin's business department offers both a 4-year bachelor of science (B.S.A.) in accounting and a 5-year bachelor of science in public accounting (B.S.P.A.) to prepare students for careers as CPAs.
- Develop critical communication and presentation skills.
- Gain technological expertise and hone personal integrity.
- Do paid internships at local CPA firms, financial institutions, corporations or service organizations.
- Prepare for a career as a CPA or an accounting professional.
Careers in accounting
You'll find graduates working in areas such as:
- Advertising Managers
- Benefit Analysts
- Business Journalists
- More »
The business department has a number of student run clubs and forums such as the Calvin Business Forum and the Global Business Brigade.
There are some exemptions from general college core requirements. Interested students are encouraged to speak to an advisor. A grade of at least a C in BUS 203 and in BUS 204 is required to be accepted into this major (58-60 semester hours).
- BUS-160 Business Foundations
- BUS-203 Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- BUS-204 Financial Accounting
- BUS-215 Accounting Process and Methods
- BUS-301 Intermediate Accounting
- BUS-302 Intermediate Accounting II
- BUS-305 Cost Accounting
- Three courses from:
- BUS-350 Law in Business
- BUS-360 Management and Organizational Behavior
- BUS-370 Financial Principles
- BUS-380 Marketing
- Two courses from (may only take one from BUS-367 or BUS-396):
- BUS-363 Production and Operations Management
- BUS-367 Small Business Management
- BUS-396 Strategic Management
- Two courses from:
- ECON-200 Calculus Applications for Business (1 hour)
- ECON-222 Principles of Macroeconomics
- One course from:
- MATH-201 Quantitative Methods for Management
- CS-171 Computing with Spreadsheets (1 hour)
*This is only a sample of some of the courses you will take if you study accounting. Not all courses listed are required.
Please consult the current version of the Calvin College Course Catalog for the
most accurate program requirements.