Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content

Hiring: Immigration services

Immigration services

Immigration services

Immigration services can help you appoint international faculty, bring research scholars and visitors to campus and assist you with permanent residency applications. Immigration laws are updated frequently and we may need to consult with our immigration attorney.

While we do everything possible to support the smooth and stress-free hiring and appointing of international faculty and staff, there may be times when international faculty and staff experience extended waiting periods while entering the United States. It is also possible for petitions to be denied or for international colleagues deemed inadmissible into the U.S. It is important to contact human resources with all questions about immigration.

Hiring internationalsTop

Most of our international faculty or staff will come to work for the college on one of the following visas:

1. H1b temporary worker in a specialty occupation
This is considered a specialty occupation visa and is available in two three-year increments for a total of six years. Workers in professional positions typically use this status for positions leading to permanent residency.

2. J-1 exchange visitor
In partnership with the US Department of State, we are authorized to invite visiting scholars, research scholars and professors on J Visas. J Visas are limited in duration and typically require a home residency rule. This visa may not be used for tenure-track positions and does not provide for a pathway to permanent residency.

3. TN Visa
Created by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the TN is a special, non-immigrant visa allowing citizens from Mexico and Canada to work in certain jobs, including teaching, in the United States. TN visas are good for up to three years and renewable indefinitely. The TN is not intended for tenure-track positions and does not provide for a pathway to permanent residency.

Permanent residencyTop

What it is

Permanent residency, also known as “green card,” is the transition from a work visa to a permanent status in the United States. Length of processing time will vary based on visa type and immigrant numbers available.

The process

For employment-based faculty and staff, the college will begin the process of permanent residency on behalf of the individual and families. The college will pay for all filing fees but shares costs with the individual on legal fees. This process will take several years and requires the use of an attorney. For marriage-based applications, the college will share the costs with the applicant.

The cost

Costs will vary. We will do our best to provide an estimate based on the number of family members and attorney support.

Who is eligible

Permanent residency sponsorship is available to full time, tenure-track faculty positions and full time staff in grades 6 and above. For assistance, please contact human resources

Visiting scholarsTop

What it is

In partnership with the US department of state, we are authorized to invite visiting scholars, research scholars and professors on J Visas for short term durations ranging from three weeks to two years.

The process

Invitations to Calvin College must be approved by the sponsoring department and vice president/provost. Once approved, the sponsoring department will be responsible for collecting information and forms for processing. Human resources will provide the documents necessary for visa and consulate applications. Sponsoring departments and international visitors are responsible for all costs associated with the visa processing.

The cost

Costs for J Visas typically are less than $200. Costs in home countries associated with consulate appointments and visa processing will vary. Fees are subject to change.