The ability to communicate effectively is a marketable skill in today's world. The strategic communication program aims to graduate articulate Christians who can critique and create effective messages for specific audiences and situations. Choose a professional communication track or rhetoric track depending on your vocational goals.
- get training and experience in the core rhetorical faculties and skills, then choose a track and specialize your courses
- the professional communication track prepares students for jobs in advertising, public relations, fund raising and events planning
- the rhetoric track trains to student for jobs in communication consulting, law, politics, ministry and academia
Careers in Strategic Communication
- communication consultant
See job placement rates for Calvin grads.
Chimes; Calvin Public Relations organization; Worship Apprentice program.
Dollar amounts reflect awards given for the 2014-15 academic year.
- CAS Department Mentoring Scholarship
- award amount: $1,800
- GPA of 3.00+
- financial need is not required; planning to major in communication arts and sciences; demonstrate leadership potential for the communication industry; willing to work closely with a faculty member for at least five hours weekly as a research assistant for the academic year
- to apply, complete the application and the recommendation form through the CAS department by February 1
- David J. Holquist Scholarship
- award amount: $1,500
- junior or senior
- GPA of 3.00+
- financial need is not required; communication arts and sciences major; demonstrate a commitment to serving others through such activities as community service, church involvement, small group leadership, and the support and encouragement of other students; preference is given to those working with victims of injustice/personal tragedy
- to apply, complete the application and the recommendation form through the communication arts & sciences department
- William and Matilda Monsma Scholarship
- award amount: $2,300
- sophomore, junior, or senior
- GPA of 3.00+
- financial need is considered; English or communication arts and sciences major; pursuing a program in education or planing a career in a helping profession; preference is given to students from the south Chicago area
- apply through the Calvin Portal
- Ann Janssen Noteboom Scholarship
- Kenneth and Phyllis Timmer Family Scholarship
- award amount: $2,500
- GPA of 2.50+
- financial need is considered; business, nursing, or communication arts and sciences major or pursuing a program in engineering or education; Michigan resident
- automatic consideration
Phil de Haan
Adjunct Faculty, Senior Public Relations Specialist
Sr. Public Relations Specialist
Talk to us
Interested in teaching? You can gain certification in Strategic Communication as a:
- Fine arts Group minor to teach at the Elementary level - see program requirements
Calvin's teacher education program also contains education-specific course requirements that you must complete prior to certification. See course requirements for:
Professor Robert Keeley talks about the education program.