Kinesiology is the study of human movement. Dance minors combine science and art to create something truly inspiring.
The dance program at Calvin is a 10-course minor that covers the history, culture and composition of dance as well as performance. You will have the opportunity to choose from dance courses in modern, ballet, jazz, tap and sacred dance.
Careers in Dance
- Dance Therapist
- Tour Manager
- Recreational Instructor
See job placement rates for Calvin grads.
Choreograph a dance or perform in Dance Guild; participate in a play or musical with Calvin Theatre Company.
Course Requirements 2013-14
(18 semester hours)
- PER-156 Creative Dance
- DAN-202 Dance in Western History
- KIN-214 Applied Kinesiology
- DAN-310 Dance in World Culture
- DAN-330 Dance Composition and Performance
- Five from:
- At least one elective dance technique course.
- At least one semester hour in three of five dance styles at level I or II and at least one semester hour at level II in one of the five dance styles.
Please note many courses in the dance minor are offered alternate years, so this minor takes careful planning. Dance minors are asked to consult with E. Van?t Hof. Physical education core requirements in skill enhancement and leisure/lifetime are satisfied through the dance minor. Students would need an additional personal fitness/fitness core course to complete physical education core.