Do you have a passion for Hispanic language and culture? Students interested in majoring in Spanish education are strongly encouraged to consider our unique bilingual education program.
Calvin's Christian approach to teacher education will challenge you to become an inspiring, engaging and compassionate teachers. Classes in Spanish phonology, sociolinguistics and grammar provide a strong foundation for this program. Additionally, a teaching practicum will provide you with real-world experience in your field.
Careers in Bilingual Spanish
- Bilingual Spanish teacher
See job placement rates for Calvin grads.
Eat at the Spanish table during meals; live in the Spanish House on campus; participate in conversation groups; attend local festivals and events; help with Rangeela.
Course Requirements 2013-14
Bilingual Education minor
(21 semester hours)
- SPAN-310 Hispanic Culture in the U.S.
- SPAN-340 Spanish Phonology
- ENGL-372 Sociolinguistics and Issues in Language Education
- ENGL-375 Grammar for Teachers of ESL
- IDIS-205 Societal Structure & Education As Social Enterprise
- IDIS-301 Bilingual & ESL Education - Elementary
- EDUC-303 Curriculum & Instruction Practicum
Note: The bilingual education minor must be combined with the Spanish major, and IDIS-301 must be taken concurrently with EDUC-303. Students must complete the Spanish department proficiency exam.
Dollar amounts reflect awards given for the 2014-15 academic year.
- Edna Greenway Scholarship
- award amount: $2,400
- junior or senior
- GPA of 3.3+
- financial need not required; submit an essay on how to integrate faith into teaching Spanish
- apply through the Spanish department