Study at Handong University, a Christian college in Pohang, Korea. Classes in English are offered in a variety of subjects including business, economics, political science, religion, computer science, and communications.
Students of all majors are invited to spend a semester studying at Handong University, a Christian college in Korea. This program is an exchange program, which Calvin has developed to allow an equal number of students to be exchanged between the two institutions. As one Calvin student attends an overseas institution, a student from this institution attends Calvin.
Read about the experiences of other HGU exchange students from around the world.
Since its establishment, Handong Global University has caused a sensation in Korea with its unique educational program – including high-quality academic education, sound spiritual discipline, and character development programs. This educational system is what sets it apart from other universities. Handong Global University received the Project of Strengthen Educational Capacity for University Prize (2008, 2009) from the Korean Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.
- Approx. 524,000
- Things to do
Visit Jukdo Market, one of the most important seafood markets in Korea, where the fish is cheap and fresh. OR take in the views from Bogyeongsa, Pohang's major Buddhist temple.
HGU sponsors cultural exchange opportunities such as the Korean Cultural Experience tour, IBS (International Buddy System), Korean Speech, and Culture night. Students may also participate in most HGU student clubs. HGU also facilitates a tip to the Kyoto and Osaka regions of Japan at the end of the semester.
- Pohang experiences mild winters and warm summers. The rainy season occurs in late summer (June-September).
- A small fishing village until the dawn of the 20th century, Pohang has grown rapidly since its designation as a city in 1949. It was the site if significant UN naval operations in the Korean War as well as clashes between South and North Korean forces. Today its economy based around iron and steel as well as shipbuilding and fishing, and aims to become more environmentally conscious while continuing to be a center of arts and culture.
You will live and study at Handong Global University, a Christian college of about 4,000 students which lies about four hours south of Seoul. Choose amongst HGU's many undergraduate programs to find classes that interest you. About 30% of HGU classes are offered in English.
Students live in on-campus dormitories where Korean is the primary spoken language.
You must be of sophomore status and have 2.5 GPA or higher to study in Korea. Programs at HGU are open to all majors.
The Semester in Korea program is a non-Calvin program but students remain eligible for Calvin financial aid at the same level as if they were on campus. The cost is the same as Calvin’s tuition, room and board rate plus an administrative fee. For more details about the program cost, visit the financial information page.
Exchange students must submit:
- Completed Student Exchange Program Application Form
- Sealed Recommendation Form completed by a college professor or advisor
- Official college transcript
- Photocopy of the front page of your passport
- Evidence of financial standing in English
- Proof of insurance
- 1 Head-shoulder photo
Applications for Spring/Fall registration are due by November 15th/May 15th. Students should be notified of acceptance by December 12th/June 12th. Visit the Handong University website for more information.