A curriculum designed to prepare future medical professioanls
Because our curriculum is designed to strengthen competencies that are essential for medical professions, selecting a biology major is a great fit for students interested in pre-medicine or other pre-health professions. In fact, our courses systematically strengthen competencies identified by Scientific Foundations for Future Physicians as essential for pre-medical students:
- Apply quantitative reasoning and appropriate mathematics to describe or explain phenomena in the natural world.
- Demonstrate understanding of the process of scientific inquiry, and explain how scientific knowledge is discovered and validated.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic physical principles and their applications to the understanding of living systems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic principles of chemistry and some of their applications to the understanding of living systems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how biomolecules contribute to the structure and function of cells.
- Apply understanding of principles of how molecular and cell assemblies, organs, and organisms develop structure and carry out function.
- Explain how organisms sense and control their internal environment and how they respond to external change.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how the organizing principle of evolution by natural selection explains the diversity of life on earth.
- Course code: