There's no shortage of "how-to-have-a-successful-STM" books out there. Here are some of the best and most popular:
Anthony, Michael J., Ed. The Short-Term Missions Boom. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Books, 1994.
- Essays on a wide variety of short-term missions topics, from culture shock to legal liability. See especially:
Association of International Mission Services. Short-term Missions Training : The Ticket to Successful Ministry, Association of International Mission Services, Virginia Beach, VA, 1992.
Berry, Bill. Short-term missions today. Pasadena, CA: Into All the World Magazine, ed. 2003.
- An annual information, opportunities and resource handbook.
Dearborn, Tim. Short-term Missions Workbook: from Mission Tourists to Global Citizens. Downers Grove, IlI,: InterVarsity Press, 2003
- This 10 session STM-preparation/debriefing course covers such issues as learning to deal with cultural differences, sorting out how Christianity and culture affect each other, and preparing for reentry even before departure. Author recommends reading Beyond Duty: A Passion for Christ, a Heart for Mission, and Mack and Leeann's Guide to Short-Term Missions, in conjunction with this book.
Eaton, Chris; Hurst, Kim. Vacations with a Purpose: A Handbook for your Short-Term Missions Experience. David C. Cook Publishing Co., 1994.
- Team member's manual.
Erickson, Howard. Before You Go - A Short-Term Missions Manual. Deeper Roots Publications, 2001.
- A preparation guide for short term mission trips, written primarily for those organizing or leading the trip.
Espineli-Chinn, Lisa. Reentry Guide for Short-Term Mission Leaders: Deeper Roots Publications, 1998.
- Lisa is a well know Reentry specialist in the short-term missions community and has done many seminars overseas as well as in N America. She has recently documented her research and put most of her seminar notes into a small book.
Faircloth, Kyle. Guidebook to the Road Less Traveled, Wycliffe Bible Translators, 2001.
- Preparation manual for short-term missions.
Forward, David. The Essential Guide to the Short Term Mission Trip, Moody Press, 1998.
- This book covers the biblical basis for missions, the invaluable tips on how to plan and operate mission trips, and useful anecdotes from numerous other teams that help you avoid the common mistakes they wish they had not made.
Gibson, Hawthorne, & Krekel. Stepping Out: A Guide to Short-Term Missions, YWAM Publishing, 1996.
- A compilation of articles by those who have gone before us to impact the nations.
Halcomb, Michael P. Volunteer Mission Experience, National Association of Congregational Christian Churches, 1995.
Hutchinson, Steve. Nuts & Bolts: The Scripture Union Guide to Running Holiday Clubs, Term-Time Missions and Other Events, Scripture Union, 1996.
- Gives essential help for churches planning to hold outreach events.
Judge, Cindy. Before You Pack Your Bag, Prepare Your Heart, Campfire Resources, 2000.
- Short-term mission preparation guide with 12 Bible studies plus trip journal.
Kirby, Scott H. The Short-Term Missions Adventure: How to Establish an Effective Short-Term Missions Ministry in Your Local Church, Printing Image, Knoxville, TN, 1998.
Landes, Michael. The Back Door Guide-to Short-Term Job Adventures: internships, extraordinary
seasonal jobs, volunteering, working abroad. 3rd Ed. Ten Speed Press, 2002.
- The title says it all.
Lisech, Howard and Bonnie. Coming Home. Deeper Roots Publications, 1997.
- Previously titled "Fishers of Men." 14 devotional Bible studies with reentry and debrief questions.
Loots, Deon. Short-Term Outreach in the African Context: A Practical Guide, Institute for Missiological and Ecumenical Research, University of Pretoria, 1996.
McMillon, Bill. Volunteer Vacations. (New edition every year).
Mission Aviation Fellowship. Thinking About Short-Term Missions, Mission Aviation Fellowship, Redland, CA
- One folded sheet. Contact Mission Aviation Fellowship organization.
Peterson, Roger P. Selected Annotated Bibliography on Short-Term Missions.
Reichert, Richard. Missions is a Contact Sport, Authorhouse, 2001.
- Covers basics of what every STM planner needs to think about: leadership, purpose of team, selection of team members, cultural preparation, project parameters, logistics, characteristics of good STM leaders. Accompanied by workbook, Before You Buy the Ticket.
SERVE. Short Termer, Elverson, PA.
Southern Baptist Convention. Getting On Line with Missions: A Volunteer Guide for High School and College Students: Leader Edition, Foreign Mission Board, Southern Baptist Convention, Richmond, VA, 1995.
STEM Ministries. Commissioned, Stem Ministries.
- Periodical, published every 3 months.
Stiles, J. Mack and Stiles. Leeann, Mack & Leeann's Guide to Short-Term Missions, InterVarsity Press, 2000.
- guidebook offers insight into:
Townsend, Ditch. Stop Check Go, OM Publishing, 1996.
- A practical guide for cross-cultural teamwork.
Van Cise, Martha. Successful Missions Teams: A Guide for Volunteers, New Hope, 1998.
- A guidebook that covers common-sense topics as customs, currency, security, immunizations, and fund-raising.
Vial, Debby D. When God's People Travel Together: A Trip Leader's Planning Manual.