Apply to the BSW program
The bachelor of social work program at Calvin is open to students on application-only basis. Consider the following BSW program requirements, and apply to the program using the forms available here.
BSW application deadline: May 2 of your sophomore year (if you plan to be off-campus during the spring of your sophomore year, complete your application before you leave).
1. Applicants must have earned a minimum of 35 semester hours of credit, and have either completed or be currently enrolled in Biology 115, Psychology 151, Sociology 151, a second Societal Structures in North America course, and Social Work 240 and 250.
2. Applicants must have an overall minimum GPA of 2.5 and a minimum grade of C- in each of the courses specified in item #1 above.
- Applicants must submit with the application a copy of their transcript (does not need to be an official one). Fall semester grades should be included on this transcript.
3. Applicants must have completed at least 50 hours of social work type volunteer or paid service and submit a Letter of Reference from the person who supervised you during this volunteer or paid service. It is the applicant's responsibility to give the supervisor the Letter of Reference Form. The supervisor completes the Form and returns it directly to the social work program director.
- If you have not completed the 50 hours of service you should still apply to the Program. It then becomes your responsibility to arrange and/or complete such service as well as have an appropriate supervisor submit a Letter of Reference Form to the Director by September 1.
- Two different volunteer or paid service experiences may be combined to satisfy the 50 required hours. In this situation a supervisor from each experience needs to complete the Letter of Reference Form.
4. Applicants must submit a written Personal Statement which includes information about their commitment to social work as a vocation, along with their strengths and areas for development as a potential professional social worker. See the specific questions on Application Form.
5. Applicants must sign a Release of Information Form.
Decisions about admission to the program are made by the Social Work Program Committee comprised of social work faculty and two BSW students appointed by the student organization (OSSW) of social work majors.
A student who does not fully meet one or more of the admission criteria may be admitted to the BSW program conditionally provided the student agrees to remove the deficiency by a time specified by the Social Work Program Committee.