What are recent social work grads doing?
Joe Kuilema '04
- went to Nigeria for 10 months with Christian Reformed World Relief Committee
- attended graduate school at University of Michigan for an MSW, now working on PhD
- worked as a camp coordinator
- now professor of social work at Calvin
Paul Vliem '06 and Joy Van Marion Vliem '05
- worked as interns with Christian Reformed World Relief Committee in Lira, Uganda for one year doing language study, field visits, community building activities, partner meetings and study.
- now Paul is studying in a dual social work and public policy masters program
- Joy completed her MSW in 2008 and is pursuing a career in gerontology
Hope Lane '07
- after graduation worked with Mercy Volunteer Corps in Philadelphia, Penn. working for Project H.O.M.E. in their outreach to the chronically homeless department
- now an apprentice at Reba Place Fellowship, an intentional living community in Chicago, helping with refugee relations and adjustment
David Tweedie '07
- spent one year doing case management at a Grand Rapids shelter for women and their children, helping clients secure housing, benefits, employment and life skills training
- now working for the Grand Rapids Area Coalition to End Homelessness
Justin Antranikian '07
- worked at Hope Network as an independent living instructor, working with clients in a residential home
- worked at Michigan Family Resources as a family service worker, doing home visits, equipping families with resources and playing with kids
- now enrolled in the computer science program at Grand Valley State University
Says Justin: "Whenever I tell people about my experiences in social work, I always say that social work is perfect for some people. I just realized that I was not one of them. I was able to find work in my field in Michigan—2 jobs actually, and I had to turn down interviews after I accepted the different jobs. So that is a big positive in my book.
Anna Taglialatela '08
- working for an agency called St. Joseph's Villa, a group home for teens with mental illness