You may obtain credit from other schools while studying at Calvin.
Transfer credit process
- Determine the school you wish to attend and the course(s) you wish to take.
- Fill out the Transfer Credit Pre-approval Form and submit it to academic services. (For core and general elective credit, you may fill and submit the fillable pdf form here. Any major or minor equivalents must be approved by an advisor.)
- Register at the other college as a guest student. If requested to verify your standing at Calvin, use the Michigan Uniform Undergraduate Guest Application.
- Complete the course with a grade of C or better.
- Request an official transcript to be sent to Calvin for posting to your academic record.
Please visit our transfer equivalency guide for a list of selected schools often used for transfer credit by Calvin students. If a course equivalency is on one of these lists, the course is considered pre-approved.
Major and/or minor requirements
If you are seeking to transfer courses to fill requirements in a major or a minor, please remember to obtain your advisor's signature on the form. Cognate transfer approvals require authorization from your advisor.
Notes about non-transferrable coursework
- One Biblical/Theological Core must be taken at Calvin.
- Developing a Christian Mind, and Integrative Studies Core must be taken at Calvin.
- At least four upper-level courses in your major must be completed at Calvin.
Notes by core area
Professional programs have alternate core; please review your specific core requirements.
- Written Rhetoric: Many community colleges offer a 2 course composition sequence, it takes both courses to fill WR core.
- Rhetoric in Culture: Speech or oral communication is the most likely to be approved.
- Health & Fitness: Courses do not have to match in title, but must have an activity component to be considered.
- Foreign Language: You must complete the equivalent of the fourth college semester, often titled 'Intermediate II'. The sequence is Elementary I, Elementary II, Intermediate I, Intermediate II. Review the curriculum of the school you are considering for FL core.
- History: History core must be 4 semester hours and must be Western History, World Civilations or similarly broad in topic to be considered. U.S. History does not fill History core.
- Religion: One religion core must be taken at Calvin. Look for courses similar in title to your required core area.
- Natural World: Look for courses with labs in your required natural world category. It is extremly rare to find an online natural world course that has a lab component.
Getting started on your search
Calvin generally accepts courses that are similar to Calvin courses from regionally accredited colleges and universities. Start at your local community college or university. Please fill out a Transfer Credit Pre-approval Form for any proposed equivalencies.
The list below is a growig resource, intended to provide a starting point for commonly requested courses. This is a list of a few schools that have been commonly proposed and reviewed for equivalency. You must fill out a Transfer Credit Pre-approval Form for any proposed transfer courses.
- Taylor University Online - potential religion and other core courses. (Note: one religion core must be taken at Calvin.)
- Louisiana State University - potential core courses.
- The University of Texas at Austin - many course options.
Please visit our FAQ page.