Credit from other schools
- What is the process for taking a summer course at another school?
- What courses will be accepted as transfer credit and how can I get my transcript evaluated at Calvin?
- How many credits will Calvin allow me to transfer?
- How do I get my transfer credit posted to my record at Calvin College?
- How do courses transfer from the quarter system?
- Can I transfer credit from a college or university in another country?
- Can I transfer credit earned as dual-enroll college credit while I was in high school?
- Do my grades transfer?
- If I did poorly in a course, can I repeat that course at another school?
- Can I receive credit for courses taken as Pass/Fail?
Transferring from Calvin to another school
Questions still not answered? Send your question to the transfer advisor, Rachel Cush.
What is the process for taking a summer course at another school?
Visit our transfer page for a step by step guide.
- Calvin generally accepts academic course work from accredited colleges (community colleges, state and private universities).
- Courses completed with Cs or better that are similar in nature to Calvin courses (not preparatory 0-level or voctional tech courses).
- See Calvin's pre-approved list to see if your school has already been evaluated. If it is not listed already, review the transfer policy to best understand the types of courses accepted.
- See Calvin's Transfer Policy
Credit evaluations may be requested once you have completed either a Calvin information form or a Calvin application form. Official evaluations are made when you are admitted to Calvin.
Current students may submit a transfer credit pre-approval form to make sure a course will transfer back to Calvin.
No more than 70 semester hours of credit will be allowed for work completed at an accredited community college. Regardless of the number of transfer courses accepted, a minimum of four upper level major courses and thirty out of the last sixty semester hours must be completed at Calvin.
In order to have your credit reflected on your Calvin record, you need to request an official transcript from the college that offered the course. Send all college transcripts to: Calvin College, 3201 Burton St SE, Grand Rapids MI 49546; all college transcripts go through the same process and are accessable to all relevant Calvin staff. Please allow two weeks from the time of your request for mailing and processing at both schools.
Alternatively, you may also hand deliver an official copy of your transcript in a sealed enveloped from the school where the courses were completed.
Calvin awards credit on the basis of a quarter hour being 2/3 of a semester hour (multiply quarter hours by .67). A course with 3 quarter hour credits will receive 2 semester hours of credit at Calvin.
Credit from schools outside the United States can be accepted if the student arranges for a transcript in English to be sent from the school. It is often helpful if the student also has course descriptions or course syllabi to assist us in determining the proper equivalent courses.
Can I transfer credit earned as dual-enroll college credit while I was in high school?
Yes, see the transfer policy and the pre-approved course list. Dual enroll credit can be beneficial in preparing for the academic demands of college. Most dual-enroll courses are accepted by Calvin for at least elective credit that will count towards your graduation.
Do my grades transfer?
Grades do not transfer, although grades help determine whether a course will be accepted in transfer. Only courses with a grade of C or better can be accepted as transfer. Your GPA is based solely on courses taken at Calvin.
If I did poorly in a course; can I repeat that course at another school?
If your purpose is to remove the lower grade from your transcript and replace it with a higher grade, the course must be repeated at Calvin. Calvin does not accept courses from other colleges as repeats of Calvin courses. If you simply need to meet a requirement, transfer credit will be considered for the specific course, but it will not replace the calculating Calvin course grade.
Can I receive credit for courses taken as Pass/Fail?
Normally credit from courses graded as pass/fail do not transfer to Calvin. An exception is made if the school indicates on the transcript that a grade of “Pass” reflects a grade of C or better. Also, if communication from the school or the instructor indicates that the grade of “Pass” reflects a grade of C or better, the credit can be accepted.
Transferring from Calvin to another school
How do I have my transcript from Calvin sent to another school?
This can be done by following the instructions on the transcript request web page.