Participate in science summer research
Each summer the science division provides opportunities for as many as 80 undergraduate students to engage in scientific research alongside an experienced Calvin faculty member. These opportunities are designed to push you further in your learning as you prepare for a career in the sciences. See 2012 projects.
Fields of research
Students will receive a stipend of $3,700 for a 10-week period of research. Additional funds are available for project supplies.
Awards will be made to qualified students who will have completed their first, second or third year of undergraduate study and who are considering a career in the sciences or mathematics.
Preference will be given to those considering a career in research or teaching in those areas and to students who will be enrolled at Calvin in the fall semester.
Students must complete the following as part of a science summer fellowship:
- Students selected for summer research will be required to participate in online Responsible Conduct of Research training by May 19, 2013. See instructions for completing this requirement. You are exempt from this requirement if you were a summer researcher in 2011 or 2012 and already completed this online tutorial.
- Display an ID badge at all times when inside the science complex on the front of their person, above the belt, not blocked by hair or clothing, etc.
- Complete the 10-weeks of research during the summer, 2013.
- Attend and participate in any regularly scheduled research meetings organized by your department or the Science Division.
- Prepare a one-page research summary for the Science Division, due August 2, 2013. Read 2012 student summaries.
- Prepare a poster for presentation at the Science Division Summer Research Poster Fair on October 18, 2013. See posters presented in 2012.
- Present the science division poster at the West Michigan Regional Undergraduate Science Research Conference at Van Andel Institute in November. Students are required to attend unless they present at an alternate conference before June 2014.