Faculty in Science Education teach and research effective teaching in science. Members of the Science Education Group teach physical and life science methods and content courses, supervise student teachers, mentor undergraduate and graduate research in science education, conduct teacher professional development, and advise in the education program.
Faculty have secured grants related to teaching science effectively through various agencies, such as the National Science Foundation, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Michigan Department of Education, and the Environmental Protection Agency. These grants provide opportunities for:
- research in science education on science reasoning, the nature of science, and inquiry based science teaching
- research experiences in science education for graduate and undergraduate students
- teacher professional development in the U.S. and developing countries
- designing informal science programs
- science curriculum development.