During the academic year, the Pre-law Program at Calvin sponsors informational meetings, lectures and panel discussions.
2013-2014 Pre-law Program Information Meetings
All Calvin students who are potentially interested in exploring a future career in law are encouraged to attend the annual informational program meetings at the beginning of the school year.
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
Juniors and Seniors: 3:30 to 5:00 p.m.
Freshmen and Sophomores: 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Political Science Department Conference Room (273A)
(located on second floor of DeVos Communications Center)
An Emerging Epidemic:
Where Public Health and Law Intersect
How do labor law and human rights law relate to public health and potential epidemics? Jason Glaser, Co-founder and President of La Isla Foundation, will discuss this issue as well as the results of the Foundation's recent Human Rights Study. Their work and the study itself results from the current epidemic proportions of Chronic Kidney Disease of unknown origins, or CKDu, among the sugar cane workers in Latin America where, in seriously impacted areas, 46% of male deaths result from CKDu.
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 at 3:30 p.m.
Alumni Board Room, 2nd floor of Commons Annex
Talented West Michigan attorneys and legal support professionals will host this event for Calvin students interested in pursuing a legal career. "In-house Legal Practice: All the Same or Widely Diverse" will provide information about the variety of tasks/jobs practiced within an "in-house" legal department. The event will be co-sponsored by Spectrum Health. Panelists will include: Jeremy Brieve (Priority Health Government Program); John Brown (Steelcase, Inc.); Cara Jansma (Spectrum Health Hospital Group); Todd Kingma (Perrigo); Mark Mosby (Priority Health); and Ronald Sagritalo (Spectrum Health Hospital Group).
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
3:30 p.m to 5:00 p.m.
DeVos Communications Building Main Floor Lobby
Regent University School of Law Professor James Davids will discuss constitutional law and abuse with Pre-law Program students -- over pizza and cokes. What rights does the administrative branch of our goverment have in relationship to the Constitution? How should the Constitution be interpreted? Does Presidential "abuse" of the Constitution matter? Prof. Davids will also be available to answer questions about Regent Law School.
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
DeVos Communications Building Room 160
Deans of admission from the University of Cincinnati College of Law and Michigan State University College of Law will offer helpful insights and recommendations for Calvin College freshman through seniors who are considering law school, including writing a presonal statement, letters of recommendation, undergraduate courses that provide a strong foundation for law school, timelines for applying to law school, financial aspects of law school, and more.
Wednesday, November 6, 2013
3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Meeter Center Lecture Hall
Mock Law School Admissions Event
Kaplan Test Prep will be broadcasting an online mock law school admissions event featuring law school admissions personnel reviewing and discussing admissions applications. The event will help prospective law students understand how the admissions process works and provide advice for those preparing to complete applications.
- August 19, 2013
- 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Event is free, but you must pre-register
Free Webinar from PatBar
A free two-part Webinar will be offered by PatBar for students intending to attend law school and especially those who are interested in patents and patent law. You must register to access the 35 minute Webinar, but once registered you can view it live or at a later date.
- First free Webinar: October 4, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. (Eastern) - Part one of the Webinar will provide relevant information about patents, patent law, and intellectual property law. Part two will focus on how law school works, as well as how to prepare, manage time, and handle wide ranging experiences.
- Second free Webinar: February 7, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. (Eastern) - content TBD
- Pre-registration required at: http://patbar.com/webinar
Michigan State Law Webinar: LSAT 101
- LSAT 101: July 31, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
- Admissions Standards and Scholarship Opportunities at MSU Law: August 28 at noon; September 12 at 4:00 p.m.; October 2, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
- Suggestions for Strengthening Your Law School Personal Statement: September 17, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
- Crafting Your Best Personal Statement: September 20, 2013 at 12:00 p.m.
- Cracking the LSAT: a Guide to LSAT Preparation: September 24, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
- Reinventing Law: How Legal Employment is Being Transformed and What the Future of Law Looks Like; October 15, 2013
- Tips for Strengthening Your Law School Application: October 29, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
- Legal Career Options and Market Outlook: November 6, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
- Expert Advice for Writing Your Law School Personal Statement: December 11, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
All webinars are offered free of charge, but pre-registration is recommended.
Chicago Law School Forum
The LSAC holds Law School Forums around the country annually, featuring numerous American Bar Association (ABA)- approved law schools. Participants can talk to various law school representatives and attend workshops throughout the day. The event is free, but pre-registration is recommended.
- July 13, 2013
- 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile, 540 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL
- For additional information and to register
University of Michigan Law Day
Numerous law schools are registered to attend this forum at the University of Michigan, with admissions officers and recruiters from the academic institutions ready to answer questions and provide information to individual students. The event is free, but participants should check in at the registration table prior to entering the event.
- Tuesday, September 24, 2013
- 3:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Michigan Union at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor
- For additional information
Michigan State University Law School Fair
Law schools from across the country will attend the MSU Law School Fair to talk with students from all majors about the programs they offer and admission to their school. The event is free and open to the public.
- Wednesday, September 25, 2013
- 4:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Spartan Stadium, 4th Floor on Michigan State University campus in East Lansing (parking available in the Stadium parking just to the south of the stadium)
- For additional information and a list of law schools attending
Law School Preparation Workshop
The workshop will provide students with the tools needed to navigate the application process and learn how a legal education could enhance their future. The sessions are free of charge, but you must register/RSVP on or before September 30, by emailing email@example.com.
- Friday, October 4, 2013
- 10:15 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Law College Building at Michigan State University in East Lansing
- Workshop agenda and schedule
- For additional information
University of Wisconsin Fall Open House
The University of Wisconsin Law School invites potential law school students to their Fall Open House on Thrusday, October 24, 2013 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Midwest Association of Pre-Law Advisors Caravan will be meeting at the University that day as well, providing an opportunity for students to meet admissions representatives from over 100 law schools around the country, as well as to get to know the University of Wisconsin Law School.
Tri-State Academy of Legal Studies in Business
The annual conference of the Tri-State Academy, located in Ashland, OH, is seeking participation by students from all disciplines who are engaged in business law-related scholarship. Papers received by September 27, 2013 will be peer-reviewed for publication in the conference proceedings, and those wishing to share work-in-progress can submit an abstract by September 27 which will be included in the proceedings. In addition to papers and presentations, conference planners will also be providing the opportunity for students to display poster presentations, which will be acknowledged in the formal proceedings.
Ashland University's Pre-Law Club will have special activities for students, including tactics for optimizing law school admissions applications and LSAT performance.
- Friday, October 25, 2013 (conference date)
- Registration fee discounts are available for students: $45 cost, which includes lunch and dinner
- For additional information
Michigan State Law School Information Receptions
Prospective applicants and guests are invited to informative, 90-minute programs which include presentations by the College of Law administrators, faculty, students, and alumni -- as well as time to ask questions and obtain more information about Michigan State University's College of Law.
- Wednesday, October 23, 2013 in Grand Rapids on the GVSU Campus
- Wednesday, November 13, 2013 in Detroit at the MSU Detroit Center
- Thursday, November 14, 2013 in East Lansing at the MSU Law College