Pre-law events at Calvin
During the academic year, the Pre-law Program at Calvin sponsors informational meetings, lectures and panel discussions.
2012-2013 Pre-law Program Information Meetings
All Calvin students who are potentially interested in exploring a future career in law are encouraged to attend the annual informational program meetings at the beginning of the school year.
Thursday, September 13, 2012
Freshmen and Sophomores: 3:30 to 4:15 p.m.
Juniors and Seniors: 4:15 to 5:00 p.m.
Political Science Department Conference Room (273A)
(located on second floor of DeVos Communications Center)
April 8th Lecture to feature prominent Grand Rapids law firm partner
Varnum Law firm partner and Calvin College graduate Perrin Rynders will speak at Calvin on April 8 at 4:00 p.m. in the Meeter Center Lecture Hall. in "A Liberal Arts Grad in the For-Profit Sector: Ready, Set, Go," Mr. Rynders will discuss his story at Calvin, the decision to enter the field of law, and his transition from school to working in a legal firm. He will also talk about what it takes to "get there" and survive, thrive and seek the Lord's calling in his chosen occupation.
Five lunch events have been scheduled for the upcoming academic year, with five different topics. Interested students must register in advance with pre-law advisor Dr. Westra or with Ellen Hekman, and we will provide lunch and personal conversations with experts in the legal field for up to 10 pre-law students at each event.
Friday, October 19, 2012
On Being a Christian Lawyer
by Julia Stronks, Prof.of Political Science at Whitworth University
Friday, November 9, 2012
Preparing for Law School and Succeeding in Law School
by Ana Stutler, Calvin graduate and current student at Wayne State University Law School
Benjamin Shoemaker, Calvin graduate and current student at University of Michigan Law School
Friday, February 8, 2013
Finding a Job After Law School
by Amber Sturrus, Associate at Miller Canfield
Nathan Plantinga, Partner at Miller Johnson
Friday, March 8, 2013
Deciding if a Legal Career is Right for You
by Luis Avila, Associate at Varnum Law
Jeff Van Winkle, Partner at Clark Hill
"God's Call to be a Christian Attorney"
CANCELED DUE TO WEATHER CONSTRAINTS
Dr. James Davids, Director of LLM in American Legal Studies at Regent University School of Law and Assistant Professor of Law at Regent University, is a former President of the Christian Legal Society, the oldest and largest professional organization of Christian attorneys in the U.S. Jim previously served this Society as Legislative Counsel, advocating on Capitol Hill for religious liberty and pro-life legislation. His lecture will be on October 30, 2012.
"As Iron Sharpens Iron: Causes, Strategies, and Variation among Christian Conservative Legal Organizations"
Daniel Bennett, from Southern Illinois University will discuss how Christian legal groups exist and work on behalf of the Christian Right in the United States. Bennett will consider the manner and approaches used by Christian conservative legal organizations as they seek to advance the causes of a shared, broader movement, also examining variations among these groups that affect their advocacy efforts. December 3 at 3:30 p.m. in DeVos Communications Center Room 170.
Other activities related to preparing for and attending law school
We also publicize information about upcoming off-site Law School Forums, special events, Webinars, seminars, open houses and more.
Chicago Law School Forum
The LSAC holds Law School forums around the country annually, featuring numerous American Bar Association (ABA)-approved law schools. Participants can talk to various law school representatives and attend workshops throughout the day. The event is free, but pre-registration is recommended.
- July 13, 2013
- 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile, 540 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, Illinois
- for additional information and to register
So...You Think You Want to be a Lawyer
Sponsored by Varnum Law in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and led by attorneys and summer associates, this session will address issues and perspectives on law school, including tips for getting in, getting noticed, and the practice of law once you achieve a J.D.
- July 26, 2012
- 2:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Bridgewater Place, Grand Rapids, MI
- Presentation will be followed by networking reception
- to register
Michigan State University Law Fair 2012
Over 100 law schools will attend this law fair, with representatives available to answer questions about application processes, provide specific information about their academic institution, and the culture and specialties of their law school.
- Wednesday, September 19, 2012
- 3:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- 4th Floor Spartan Stadium at Michigan State University in East Lansing
- Link for full list of schools attending (then click on career fairs)
University of Michigan Law Day
130 law schools are registered to attend this forum at the University of Michigan, with admissions officers and recruiters from the academic institutions ready to answer individual student's questions and provide information. The event is free, but participants should check in at the registration table prior to entering the event.
- Thursday, September 20, 2012
- 3:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Michigan Union at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor
- Parking available at the Maynard Parking Structure
- Link for details of participating schools
Spartan Law Visit Program at Michigan State University
- Friday, July 27, 2012 from 9:45 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- an on-campus program open to anyone considering law school
- sessions include: Career Options for Attorneys; Academic Programs at MSU Law; Student Life; Financing a Legal Education; Insights Regarding the Admissions Process
- complimentary pizza lunch provided
- RSVP by phone or email to Kelly Kussmaul on or before July 23 (517/432-0222 or Kelly Kassmaul)
"Get Ready for the Law" at Michigan State University
- Friday, September 21, 2012 from 10:15 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- an on-campus event for individuals considering law school
- includes mock class, moot court demonstration, current-student panel, and presentations on admissions and LSAT preparation
- RSVP by September 18, 2012 (517/432-0222)
Midwest Alliance for Law School Admissions Recruiting Forum: the Chicago Graduate and Professional School Fair
- Thursday, October 4, 2012 from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- hosted by the University of Illinois at Chicago
- 30 law schools scheduled to attend, with a one hour panel on the law school admissions process
- UIC Forum at 725 Roosevelt Road, Chicago, IL 60608
- Admission is free, no pre-registration is required
- Additional information
Wednesdays @ MSU Law
- Wednesday, October 10, 2012
- Wednesday, October 31, 2012
- providing an overview of the MSU Law academic program
- attend a first year law class
- learn more about admissions and financial aid
- tour the Law College
- Register soon (517/432-0222)
Michigan State University Information Receptions
- An opportunity to meet MSU Law administrators, faculty, alumni and current students between 7:00 and 8:30 p.m.
- Informal conversations suited to obtain information about the Law College at MSU, inclduing academic programs and admission requirements
- Grand Rapids on Thursday, October 18, 2012 at GVSU's DeVos Center, Loosemore Auditorium (401 W. Fulton St.)
- East Lansing on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at MSU College of Law, Castle Board Room (Room 343)
- Detroit on Thursday, November 15, 2012 at MSU Detroit Center (3408 Woodward Ave.)
- RSVP at least three business days prior to the reception you plan to attend (517/432-0222)
Michigan State University Webinars and Online Chats
All of the webinars and online chats are free of charge and open to law school applicants; they include auido and video so participants need access to a computer, the intenet and audio capabilities (a phone or speakers); question and answer sessions follow each presentation; you must register in advance.
- Tuesday, July 10, 2012 from 2:00 to 2:45 p.m.: Crafting Your Best Personal Statement provides key insights about role of personal statement in admissions process as well as recommendations for writing an effective statement, including "dos" and "donts." Q&A session with participants will follow formal presentation
- Wednesday, July 18, 2012 from 7:30 to 8:15 p.m.: MSU Law Confidential providing an informative introduction to the curricular and extra-curricular programs offered at MSU Law
- Wednesday, July 25, 2012 from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.: Online Chat provides a convenient way for interested students to ask questions of current law students, director of admissions, and director of financial aid. Participants may join for the entire 60 minute session or for just few minutes
- Thursday, July 26, 2012 from 7:30 to 8:15 p.m.: Admission Standards and Scholarship Opportunities, including specific information regarding admission to MSU Law for potential fall 2013 applicants, including factors relied upon by Admissions Committee; importance and role of personal statements and resumes; standards for admission and scholarship; financial aid; timeline for applying and receiving a decision
- Thursday, September 27, 2012 from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.: Cracking the LSAT offers insignths regarding the Test including how and why law schools use it, skills the exam measures, analysis of types of questions, and strategies for maximizing performance.
- Wednesday, October 17, 2012 from 7:30 to 8:15 p.m.: Crafting Your Best Personal Statement discussing factors that impact admission decisions, the purpose and role of a personal statement, writing an effective statement, and mistakes to avoid.
- Thursday, November 1, 2012 from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.: Creating a Road Map for Freshmen and Sophomores Considering Law School including courses to prepare for law school, evaluating whether a law career is for you, when to apply for admission, and financial aspects of law school.
- Wednesday, November 7, 2012 from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.: Career Options and Market Outlook for Attorneys discussing skills lawyers use, career options in law, hiring and compensation data for new lawyers, and assessing the value of a legal education.
Online Chat with the Midwest Alliance for Law School Admissions
The Midwest Alliance for Law School Admissions and the MIdwest Association of Pre-law Advisors are sponsoring a free online chat providing opportunities to ask questions of admiissions representatives from numerous Midwest law schools and prelaw advisors. Join the chat for the full hour or just a few minutes.
- Participating law schools: Capitol University, Indiana University, University of Kansas, Loyola University Chicago, Michigan State University, University of Missouri-Kansas City, Valparaiso University, Washburn University
- Wednesday, November 7, 2012 from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- access the chat link at:
Free Webinar from PatBar
A free two-part Webinar will be offered by PatBar for students intending to attend law school and especially those who are interested in patents. You must register to access the 35 minute Webinar, but once registered you can view it live or at a later date.
- First free Webinar: October 4, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. (Eastern) - Part one of the Webinar will provide relevant information about patents, patent law, and intellectual property law. Part two will focus on how law school works, as well as how to prepare, manage time, and handle wide ranging experiences.
- Second free Webinar: February 7, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. (Eastern) - content TBD
- To register: http://patbar.com/webinar