Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content

Experience - On-Campus Opportunities

Get experience with medical research

The West Michigan Regional Laboratory (WMRL) is a state-of-the-art medical research and teaching facility that is located right in the DeVries Hall of Science on Calvin's campus. Each semester Calvin pre-vet and pre-med students get jobs, do research projects with professors, observe animal surgeries, network with veterinarians and observe medical residents taking courses at WMRL. This is an amazing opportunity for Calvin students. To get involved simply stop by (DeVries Hall 013) to introduce yourself, drop off your resume and tell the staff what you are interested in doing.

Working in the biology or chemistry department

Each semester the biology and chemistry departments employ 60 to 70 students. Students have worked in the following positions:

Lab Assistants/Graders

The biology and chemistry departments are looking for some qualified students to work as Lab Assistants for the spring semester. This is a great experience.

Here are 5 reasons that you should apply:

  1. You get to develop a personal relationship with the professor you are assisting.
  2. You get to apply the knowledge that you have learned. By passing it on you will actually learn it much better yourself.
  3. You get to know other students who share your interest in science.
  4. You get to add this work experience to your resume.
  5. You also get paid and you know how hard jobs are to find these days.

Anatomy lab

Requirements for Biology Lab Assisting

As a lab assistant, you must have taken the course or course equivalent in which you are assisting.

To work in this lab you need to have taken these courses:

BIOL 111 - BIOL 123 & BIOL 224 or BIOL 141

BIOL 115 - BIOL 205 & BIOL 206 or BIOL 323 or BIOL 242 or BIOL 331

BIOL 141 - BIOL 141 or BIOL 224 and CHEM 103

All others - You must have taken the course in order to be a lab assistant for that course.

Check with the professor teaching the lab or Pat Buist if you are interested in lab assisting or have questions.

Requirements for Chemistry Lab Assisting
  • As a lab assistant, you must have taken the course or course equivalent in which you are assisting
  • You must have earned a grade of B or better in the course in which you are assisting

Research Assistants

Research AssistantFaculty members do research to know God, inform their teaching and to give our students opportunities for future success. Interested students should discuss specific research opportunities with individual professors. Paid research fellowships are available each summer.



Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla ut nibh.

Job Application Process

The following steps must be completed to apply for a lab assistant position:

  1. Contact the biology or chemistry administrative assistant. Check with the administrative assistant to determine current open lab positions.
  2. Submit an application to the department office.
  3. Once your application has been approved, complete the required tax forms through the Student Employment Office.
  4. Complete Online Student Employment Safety Training.
  5. Receive instructions for web time entry on KnightVision from the department's administrative assistant.


Web time Entry Instructions (61 KB pdf)

Tax Forms »

Safety Training »

Josh smith