Political science major (33 semester hours)
Admission to the program
To be admitted to a major program in political science you must have completed one (non interim term) political science course with a minimum grade of C (2.0).
- Ideas and Institutions in American Politics (101)
- Freedom, Justice, and Political Authority (240)
- Foundations of Political Science Research (251)
- Senior Seminar in Political Science (399)
- one from comparative politics (214, 276, 277, or 279)
- one from international politics (207, 218, or 228)
Fifteen additional hours of political science coursework (which may include one interim course and/or six hours of internship credit) or completion of the Policy Studies and Civic Leadership Concentration requirements
Political science majors, particularly those who do not anticipate pursuing either law school or some graduate program shortly after graduation, are encouraged to enroll in internship programs.
Students can complete an internship for a maximum of 6 semester hours in Internship in Politics and Government (380), as well as internships through our Washington, DC semester program. Interested students should contact the department's Internship Director, Prof. Pelz.
Information on the specifics and guidelines for graduating with honors can be found on the political science department 's honors page.