Political Science and International Relations
On March 4, 2014 the political science department a Calvin College hosted a panel discussion on the conflict in Ukraine. Below is the video of that presentation.
Congratulations to Prof. Westra on being one of the 2013-2014 recipients of the Faculty Lectureship Award Series. His lecture "Global Security Governance in a Changing World: Institutional Legitimacy and Prospects for Reform" will be presented Tuesday, March 18, 2014, at the CFAC Recital Hall.
After graduating in May of 2013, Josh de Lacy, a political science graduate decided to hitchhike for 39 days through small-town America. He left with a 55-pound backpack and no money in his wallet. His motto was "Traveling on Trust."To read more about his journey see the story in the Winter 2013 issue of The Spark.
News & Events
- Just released in the on-line magazine C/O Exist: Middle East Culture Series are the summaries of the talks presented at the forum "Intervention in Syria: Understanding the Debate" held Sept. 24, 2013.
- The Center for Public Justice asked Prof. McBride to write a 3-part series on "International Efforts to Regulate Adoption". The third article published Nov. 22, 2013 is coauthored with Brooke Bonnema, a first-year student in International Relations and Psychology. The first article was published Nov. 8, 2013. The second article was published Nov. 15, 2013.
- On October 18, 2013, Dr. Timothy Steigenga spoke about immigration issues at 4:00 p.m. in the Meeter Center, giving a talk entitled “Against the Tide.” Steigenga is a professor of political science and chairs the social sciences and humanities area at the Wilkes Honors College of Florida Atlantic University.
- On November 1, Dr. Giacomo Chiozza, Associate Professor of Political Science at Vanderbilt University, presented his research on "Cooperation and Contestation in the American World Order." Dr. Chiozza is a renowned conflict scholar, and his 2011 book, "Leaders and International Conflict," received the Lepgold Book Prize for its exceptional contribution to the study of international relations. The lecture took place at 3PM in the Bytwerk Theater in the De Vos Center Building.
- On November 4, 2013, at 3:30 P.M., the Henry Institute will sponsor the 4th annual Pruis Rule of Law Lecture featuring,Dr. Sandra Fullerton Joireman, Weinstein Chair of International Studies and professor of Political Science at the University of Richmond, and currently also professor of Politics and International Relations at Wheaton College in Illinois.
- Constitution Day Celebration, Sept., 16, 2013
- N. Korea Forum held April 30, 2013 at 3:30 P.M. in the DeVos Center lobby. The political science department presented an informal forum about the current situation in N. Korea.
- At the 2013 Model United Nations Conference Calvin students represented Jordan.