Apply to study off-campus during interim
To participate in a Calvin off-campus interim, you must have sophomore status, a minimum G.P.A. of 2.0, and you must complete the online application process.
Talk to the instructor of the interim and find out about any deadlines. Give yourself plenty of time before the interim application deadline which should be no later than October 1, 2014 for January 2015 interims. Our current application process is all online, but it requires approvals from departments across campus so make sure you apply as soon as possible.
Research Your Options
Look at the list of Off Campus Interims for 2015, read the description, and talk to the instructors for these interims about any deadlines or special considerations.
If the interim is outside of the U.S., make sure your passport is up-to-date (and will not expire any time in the next year), or apply for a passport.
Complete The Application Process
You will apply for the off-campus interim on the Calvin College Horizons site. Please read the following before you proceed.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
After you click on the Calvin College Horizons link, use your Calvin username and password to log in when prompted. Go to the "Search Programs" tab and scroll down to find the interim to which you want to apply and click on the "Apply For" button on the far right. The software will guide you through the application process.
WHAT MATERIAL SHOULD I PREPARE TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
The application process includes the following components:
- Demographic Information (this will fill in automatically in your profile): Name, email, phone, major, year in school, etc.
- Program Selection - this is the program you are applying to - make sure you answer the questions.
- Academic GPA check: For interims you will need to have at least a 2.0 GPA to be automatically approved to study off-campus. If your GPA is below 2.0 you will be able to appeal to the Off-Campus Programs Office.
- Application questions: Please answer these questions completely, the instructor of the interim will use your answers to get to know you a bit better as they make decisions related to your participation in the Interim course..
- Student Conduct: This portion of the application asks if you have been disciplined by a member of the Student Life Division (a Dean or Resident Director) for an infraction of campus regulations and if yes to explain the circumstances). If you are not approved by student life, you can appeal directly to the Off-Campus Programs Office.
- Program waiver: The program waiver is an important document that outlines both the risk and responsibilities of both the student and the college. Please read this document carefully and check to acknowledge that you have read and consent to its terms. Click "Review and Save" to move on.
- Emergency contact information: You will need to provide the names, phone numbers and emails of two emergency contacts.
- Insurance verification: You will need to provide Calvin with information about your health insurance provider and that you do have health coverage while abroad.
- Health form: The purpose of the health form is two fold. The first reason is to make sure we are aware of any health issues that we may need to accommodate. The second reason, is to initiate your contact with Calvin’s health services to make sure we prepare you to manage your physical health while off-campus. If accepted into the program you will receive additional information related to any immunizations that you will need for the semester. All information reported on this form is confidential and seen only by Calvin Health Services, the Instructor of your program, and (if needed) the Director of OCP.
- Mental health form: The purpose of this form is also two fold. The first reason is to identify how we can best support you during your time off-campus. The second reason is to assist you in managing your mental health while off-campus. All information reported on this form is confidential and seen only by the Instructor of your program and (if needed) by Broene Counseling Center and the OCP office (note: no student employees will have access to this form)..
- Acknowledgment of the student conduct code: The purpose of this form is to remind students that Calvin’s student conduct code applies to you while you are away. This form also asks you to commit to some simple behaviors designed to promote your safety while away.
- Recommendation Request: Click on Item 2, "Recommendation Request." You will be asked to identify one reference for interim programs. Fill in the name and email address of this reference and click "Save Application" at the bottom. Remember that it is standard practice to ask your recommender for permission for a recommendation before you list their name. After you have requested a recommendation, click on "Submit Application."
WHO SHOULD I ASK TO BE A REFERENCE FOR ME?
Identify people who can speak to your character and academic abilities. Teachers, pastors, employers, and mentors are good references; you should avoid asking parents and extended family for references.
WILL I BE INTERVIEWED?
This depends on your instructor. Although the OCP office encourages all instructors to interview students who apply for their interim, sometimes this does not happen. Contact your Off-Campus Interim Instructor (after you complete the the online application) to find out the process for your specific interim course. Be sure to indicate what times you would be available for an interview in the interview section of the application.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I COMPLETE THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
You wait while making sure all aspects of your application have been completed. Your interim instructor should tell you a date by which you should hear your status in the course. If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact the Off-Campus Programs Office or your Interim Instructor. If you receive an acceptance email, you may also receive a terms and conditions sheet. Please read this document carefully before you sign and return to your Off-Campus Interim Instructor.
WHAT DO I NEED TO COMPLETE AFTER I AM ACCEPTED?
You should complete any post-acceptance information requested which would include passport information for international interims.