To participate in a Calvin off-campus semester program, you must have sophomore status, a minimum G.P.A. of 2.5, and you must go through a two-part application process consisting of a general preliminary application and a program application.
Calvin partner programs include the Chicago Semester, ISDSI (Thailand for IDS, environmental studies, and biology major/minors), Central College’s Vienna Program (for German major/minors only) and the Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU – for Japanese major/minors only).
Deadlines vary by program so be sure to leave yourself enough time to complete the application process for the program you are choosing. Remember that Calvin’s preliminary application can take up to 10 days for processing.
Complete The Preliminary Application
- The preliminary application determines your academic and social eligibility for an off-campus program.
- Applications are available from the Off-Campus Programs Office (Hiemenga Hall 322) or can be printed out by clicking here.
- Instructions for completing the preliminary application:
- Consult your advisor concerning the credits in the program you'd like to apply for and have him/her sign your preliminary application form. Make sure to talk about the courses you will take in your semester after you return from your program—you'll be gone during advising.
- Get approval from the department chair for your major and/or minor if you would like any credits from the off-campus semester to be applied to your major or minor program.
- Return the completed preliminary application to the Off-Campus Programs office.
- If your preliminary application is denied, you can appeal this decision using the following guidelines.
Complete The Application
- Once the preliminary application is approved you will need to obtain an application from your desired program of study and return it to the program directly (with the exception of the Chicago semester, bring your completed Chicago Semester application directly to Calvin’s Off-Campus Programs Office).
- Once you are accepted to a program make sure you communicate with Calvin’s Off-Campus Programs office concerning your status for off-campus study.
- Calvin partnered programs bill Calvin directly and Calvin bills the students with all financial aid applying to the cost of the program.
- Calvin will bill students at least the cost of Calvin tuition with an additional administrative fee between $250 and $500 depending on the program.