To participate in a Calvin off-campus semester program, you must have sophomore status, a minimum G.P.A. of 2.5, and you must go through a two-part application process consisting of a general preliminary application and a program application.
Calvin exchange programs include Hoogeschool Zeeland (Netherlands) and Handong University (Korea).
For students planning to do an exchange program in the Fall semester the application deadline is mid March.
For students planning to do an exchange program in the Spring semester, the application deadline is June 1.
Give yourself plenty of time before the program application deadline as the preliminary application can take up to 10 days for processing.
Complete The Preliminary Application
- The preliminary application determines your academic and social eligibility for an off-campus program.
- Applications are available from the Off-Campus Programs Office (Hiemenga Hall 322) or can be printed out by clicking here.
- Instructions for completing the preliminary application:
- Consult your advisor concerning the credits in the program you'd like to apply for and have him/her sign your preliminary application form. Make sure to talk about the courses you will take in your semester after you return from your program—you'll be gone during advising.
- Get approval from the department chair for your major and/or minor if you would like any credits from the off-campus semester to be applied to your major or minor program.
- Return the completed preliminary application to the Off-Campus Programs office.
- If your preliminary application is denied, you can appeal this decision using the following guidelines.
Complete the Application
- Once the preliminary application is approved you will need to schedule an interview time with the Director of Off-Campus Programs. During this interview, you will be asked to talk about your motivation for studying at one of our exchange programs as well as your goals for this experience.
- After this interview, the Off-Campus Programs Office will work with you to complete the necessary paperwork for the host institution.
- Once you are accepted for a program make sure you communicate with Calvin’s Off-Campus Programs office concerning your status for off-campus study.
- For exchange programs, students are billed Calvin tuition (plus a $150 administrative fee). In terms of room and board, students work with the host institution and pay these expenses directly to the host institution.