Application to the upper division nursing major normally occurs during the second semester of the sophomore year. Applications are due on January 15th for the class beginning the following September. Applicants who submit after the deadline will be considered on a space available basis only.
Application forms for 2012 are available in the Nursing Department office or may be downloaded below:
In order to apply to the nursing program, students must have:
- at least sophomore standing (greater than or equal to 27 hours) at the application due date.
- completed six nursing prerequisite courses at the application due date.
- a minimum overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.8 at the application due date.
- a minimum pre-nursing GPA (GPA acquired from the nine pre-nursing courses) of 2.8 at the application due date.
- a minimum grade of “C” on each of the prerequisite courses at the application due date.
Students should also take note of the following policies:
- Prerequisite natural science courses must have been completed within the last seven years.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have completed or will complete
all nine nursing prerequisite courses at Calvin College.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have completed more than six prerequisite courses at the time of application.
- Consideration will be given to applicants who have made repeated applications
to the nursing major.
- Applicants who submit applications after the due date will be considered on a space available basis.
- Prerequisite courses in progress must be completed prior to the start of the upper division nursing major with a minimum grade of a “C”.
- Enrollment In the upper division nursing major is also contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check, fingerprint check, and drug screen.
It is important to note that completion of the pre-nursing courses and achievement of the minimum criteria does not guarantee admission into the nursing major. Enrollment in the final two years is limited and thus the admission process is selective.
Students who have transferred to Calvin from some other college or university will be considered Calvin students (rather than as transfer students) if they will have completed two semesters of full time academic work at Calvin by the time they start the upper division major. Students desiring to transfer to Calvin for the upper division major, who have completed course work judged by the department to be equivalent to the nine required pre-nursing courses, will be considered for admission to the nursing program after qualified students from Calvin have been accepted into the program.
Applicants for admission, who are graduates of Calvin College, will be given equal consideration for admission with current Calvin students.