Gail Landheer Zandee MSN, RN | Community Partnership Coordinator
- MSN, Community Health Nursing, Wayne State University, 1993
- BSN, Hope-Calvin Department of Nursing, 1990
- Community Health Nursing
- Calvin College Department of Nursing, Community Partnership Coordinator, 2001 - present
- Hope-Calvin Department of Nursing, Assistant Professor, 1993 - 2000
- Sparta Health Center, Community Health Nurse, 1994
- Blodgett Hospital, Staff Nurse, Cardiac Care Unit, 1990 – 1993
- Health Promotion / Illness Prevention
- Community Based Participatory Research
- Community Health Worker Programs
- Henry Institute for the Study of Christianity and Politics. Awarded $1000 for the funding of a student fellow to mentor in community based participatory research. May, 2009 and 2010.
- Community Health Worker Program, Spectrum Health Healthier Communities Grant for continuing a program which teams nursing students with neighborhood residents to promote health and access to care in resident’s neighborhood, 2006, $18,229.00.
- Community Health Worker Program, Spectrum Health Healthier Communities Grant for continuing a program which teams nursing students with neighborhood residents to promote health and access to care in resident’s neighborhood, 2005, $17,698.00.
- Community Health Worker Program, Spectrum Health Healthier Communities Grant for initiating a program which teams nursing students with neighborhood residents to promote health and access to care in resident’s neighborhood, 2004, $17,767.00.
- "Engaging with Creston Neighborhood for Health Promotion and Illness Prevention", Michigan Campus Compact Scholarship of Engagement Mini-Grant, 1998, $1600.00.
- Expanding Partnership with Creston Neighborhood and Investigating Other Community Partnerships in the Grand Rapids/Holland Area, Hope College Faculty Development Grant, 1998, $1100.00
- “Social Determinants of Women’s Mental health in Three Ethnically Diverse, Impoverished, and Under Served Communities”. Midwest Nursing Research Society. Dearborn, MI, 2012.
- “Community-Campus Service-Learning Partnerships: Promoting the Health of Urban, Underserved Neighborhoods while Educating Undergraduate Nursing Students”. Sigma Theta Tau Eta Zeta Chapter, Fall Research Workshop, Keynote address. Kalamazoo, MI, 2011.
- “Community Based Participatory Research Results in Burton Heights and Baxter / Madison Neighborhoods”. Kent County Health Department Infant Health I-team. Grand Rapids, MI, 2011.
- “Knowing your Body: A Pilot Study”. Kent County Health Department Infant Health I-team. Grand Rapids, MI, 2010
- ”Exploring the Pregnancy Recognition Process Through Group Interviews”. Sigma Theta Tau International, 40th Biennial Convention. Indianapolis, IN, 2009.
- “Understanding Poverty”. Spectrum Health Healthier Communities/Kent County Healthy Start inservice training for staff. Grand Rapids, MI, 2006.
- "Implementing a Community-Based Curriculum: Meeting the Challenge Through Unique Faculty Roles". AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference, Chicago, Illinois, 2005.
- “Evidence-Based Practice: Teaching by Doing”. AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference, Sunny Isles Beach, Florida, 2004.
- “Promoting the Health of Populations through Community-Based Participatory Research”. Population Focused Nursing: Applications Across Environments of Care conference, Cleveland State University, Ohio, 2004.
- "Listening to Community Voices: Community-Based Research, A First Step in Partnership and Outreach." Outreach Scholarship 2002 Conference: Catalyst for Change, Columbus, OH, 2002.
- "Educating Public Health Nursing Students: Partnerships in Urban, Rural, and Inner-city Areas", AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference, Chicago, IL, 2000.
- "Taking Service-Learning to the Next Level Through Partnership". Universities as Citizens Summer Planning Institute, Midwest Campus Compact Collaboration, Kalamazoo, MI, 1999.
- "Essential Factors in Community Field/Service-learning experiences", Calvin Faculty Developmental Workshop, Grand Rapids, MI, 1999.
- "Educating Public Health Nursing Students Using a Service-Learning Partnership Approach". Sustaining Community-Based Primary Care: Policies, Partnership, and Practice, Williamsburg, VA, 1999.
- Doornbos, M. M., Zandee, G. L., DeGroot, J. (in press). Desired Mental Health Resources for Urban, Ethnically Diverse, Impoverished Women Struggling With Anxiety and Depression. Qualitative Health Research, in press.
- Doornbos, M. M., Zandee, G. L., DeGroot, J. (in press). Clinging to any bit of joy: Urban, ethnically diverse, impoverished women's descriptions of anxiety and depression. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, in press
- Zandee, G. (2012). Mapping a strategic plan for health: Community-based participatory research with underserved, low-income uban neighborhoods. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, 16(3), 95-97.
- Zandee, G., Bossenbroek, D., Friesen, M., Blech, K., & Engbers, R. (2010). Effectiveness of community health worker/nursing student teams as a strategy for public health nursing education. Public Health Nursing, 27(3), 277-284.
- Feenstra, C., Gordon, B., Hansen, D., Zandee, G. (2006). Managing Community and Neighborhood Partnerships in a Community-Based Nursing Curriculum. Journal of Professional Nursing, 22(4), 236-241.
- Heffner, G.G., Zandee, G.L. & Schwander, L. (2003). Listening to community voices: Community-based research, a first step in partnership and outreach. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, 8(1), 33-44.
- Zandee, G.L. (2002). Reciprocity and partnership: The multidimensional impact of community driven nursing practice. In G. Heffner & C. Beversluis (Eds.) Commitment and connection: Service-learning and Christian higher education. Lanham, MD: University Press of America.
- Zandee, G. L. (1999, Winter). Medical mission work in the inner city: A collaborative venture of a church and nursing program. Journal of Christian Nursing, 16-18.
- Zandee, G. L. & Oermann, M. H. (1996). Effectiveness of contingency contracting: Component of a worksite weight loss program. AAOHN Journal, 44, 183-188.
Awards / Recognitions:
- Community / Academic Partnership First Place Award for poster submitted in the University of Michigan Institute for Clinical and Health Research conference, April, 2012
- Poster Award for “Mapping a Strategic Plan for Health: Community Based Participatory Research with Underserved, Low-Income, Urban Neighborhoods”. Submitted to National Outreach Scholarship Conference. October, 2011.
- Community / Academic Partnership Second Place Award for poster submitted in the University of Michigan Institute for Clinical and Health Research conference, May, 2011
- Leininger Breakthrough Award Honorable Recognition, September, 2008
- Michigan Campus Compact Faculty/Staff Community Service-Learning Award, February, 2008
- Community Partnership Award. Calvin College, April, 2005
- Woman of Achievement Recognition. YWCA, Grand Rapids, MI, November, 2004.