Muriel M. Larson MSN, RN | email@example.com
- 1972 – 2001 | University of South Dakota
- 2001 – 2007 | Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD
- 2007 – present | Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI
- South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD | Nursing | PhD (Admitted to program, Fall 2005 – deferred)
- Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD | Nursing | MA (2000)
- Augustana College | Biomedical Ethics | MA (1999)
- Augustana College | Nursing | BA (1989)
- St. Luke's Hospital School of Nursing, Duluth, MN | Nursing | RN (1964)
- University of South Dakota School of Medicine | Clinical Assistant; Professor – Neurosciences, Ethics Section (2005-2007)
- Augustana College | Assistant Professor (2001-2007)
- University of South Dakota | Assistant Professor (2000-2001)
- University of South Dakota | Instructor (1977-2000)
- University of South Dakota | Clinical Consultant (1972-l977)
- McKennan Hospital, Sioux Falls, SD | RN Float Pool; Women’s and Children’s Education (1993 - l997)
- McKennan Hospital | Coordinator (1988 - l993)
- McKennan Hospital | Professional Development Program (2001 -)
- Augustana College | Clinical Consultant (l974 - l984)
- Southeast Vocational Technical Institute, Sioux Falls, SD | Instructor and Consultant (1976 - l990)
- Dakota Baptist Conference | Camp Nurse (1972 - l985)
- Dakota Hospital, Vermillion, SD | Staff Nurse (1967 - l970)
- Holden Hospital, Carbondale, IL | Staff Nurse (1965 - 1967)
- Marion Memorial Hospital, Marion, IL | Staff Nurse (1966 - l967)
- St. John’s Hospital, St. Paul, MN | Staff Nurse (Summer l965)
- St. Luke’s Hospital Staff Nurse, Duluth, MN (l964 - l965)
Complete List of Publications:
- Consultant Panelist for C.W. Mosby, 5th. edition, Obstetrical and Gynecological Nursing. l992.
- The Argus Leader, Sioux Falls, SD. Two ancedotal writings on nursing published in l986 and l990.
- Sigma Theta Tau, International. Centennial Booklet on “One Hundred Reasons Why I Love Nursing.” Reprint from Argus Leader article, l990.
- South Dakota Nursing Association Newsletter, Short story, “The Magic Lamp.”
- Published photography:
- Backyard Oaks, Inc. | Sioux Falls, SD
- Clinical Laboratory of Medicine | Sioux Valley Hospital | Sioux Falls, SD
- Department of Marketing | Sioux Valley Hospital | Sioux Falls, SD
- Larson, M. (2003). ICUS, The Greek Connection: Discovering Cultural and Social Structure Dimensions of the Greek Culture using Leininger’s Sunrise Model. July–September issue
- Larson, M. (2004), ICUS, Guest Editoral. Summer 2004. June–July issue
- Larson, M. (2005), ICUS, The Greek Connection: A Dream and a Decade – July 2005 issue.
Unpublished Scholarly Work:
- Research for Masters in Biomedical Ethics: “A Comparison of the Knowledge and Application of Biomedical Ethics of Students and Graduates of an Associate Degree Nursing Program.”
- “Scholarship of Integration - The Greek Connection” The final project for the Masters of Arts in Nursing utilizing Madeleine Leininger’s Culture Care Theory.
- The Culture of Nursing – a longitudinal study based on Leininger’s book, Nursing and Anthropology: Two Worlds to Blend. (1994), chapter 5, The traditional culture of nursing and the emerging new one. Research in progress at Augustana College, Department of Nursing, beginning Fall, 2002. Proposed completion date, Spring 2004.
- The Greek Connection: A Bridge to the Global Community – an article in progress being authored by M. Larson, Assistant Professor of Nursing, Augustana College, SF, in collaboration with J. Larson, Professor of Nursing, University of South Dakota, A. Markaki, RN, MSN, MA, CS, Regional Health and Welfare System of Heraklion, Crete, GR, and I. Kalofissoudis, RN, Director of Education and Research, Henry Dunant Hospital, Athens, Greece.
- Calvin College, Nursing Department Seminar Series 2007-08. A Feast for the Senses Interim 2008. The Greek Connection: Embracing Transcultural Caring in Ancient and Modern Greece. February 14, 2008. Grand Rapids, MI
- Augustana College Faculty Development Luncheon Presentation. “A method for research and teaching transcultural caring depicting Leininger’s Theory of Culture Care in Greece.” March 14, 2007. Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD
- Nursing Deans and Directors Annual Retreat, Panel Presentation: “Learning Strategies to Foster Culturally Congruent Care.” June 7, 2007, Mitchell, SD.
- South Dakota State Student Nursing Convention. Celebrating Culture. Presentation: Transcultural Nursing Care: The Challenge of the 21st Century. Poster Presentation: The Sunrise Enabler as a Model for Cultural Immersion Depicting Leininger’s Theory of Culture Care. Rapid City, SD. Feb. 23-25, 2006.
- Parish Nursing Symposium: Community Assessment. Augustana College, Sioux Falls. June 3, 2006.
- Thirty Second Annual Transcultural Nursing Society International Conference: Enhancing Health Care Through Transcultural Nursing. Poster presentation: The Camera as a Research Tool: Focusing on Leininger’s Sunrise Enabler in Greece. Annapolis, MD. November 1-4, 2006
- Pinning Ceremony speaker - “I Have a Dream”, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD, May 20, 2006.
- Sioux Valley Center for Ethics and Caring: First Friday, March 4, 2005. “Ageism” A Report from the Nobel Conference. Sioux Valley Hospital, Sioux Falls, SD.
- Presentation to 6th graders at Edison Middle School, Sioux Falls, South Dakota. “The Greek Connection”. February 23, 2005.
- Transcultural Nursing Society 31st. Annual Conference. Transcultural Nursing: Meeting the Challenges of Global Healthcare. Baruch College, New York City. Presentation. “The Sunrise Enabler as a Model for Cultural Immersion.” October 19-22, 2005.
- Transcultural Nursing Society 31st Annual Conference. Baruch College, NYC. Poster Presentation. “ The Greek Connection: Embracing Transcultural Nursing in Ancient and Modern Greece depicting Leininger’s Theory of Culture Care.”
- Parish Nurse Symposium: Community Assessment. Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD. June, 2005.
- Annual Nursing Symposium, Living Nursing Scholarship: Research, Theory and Practice. Presentation and Poster: “The Greek Connection depicting Leininger’s Theory of Culture Care.” April 16, Sioux Falls, SD
- Invited to present paper and poster – Annual Nurse Educator’s Conference, Breckenridge, CO. July 27-31, 2004. The Greek Connection: Teaching Transcultural Caring in Ancient and Modern Greece.
- Invited to present poster – International Transcultural Nursing Society Meeting, Spain. June 20, 2004
- Invited to present – South Dakota Nurse’s Association Convention, October, 2004, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, The Greek Connection.
- Ethics in Action: Culture, Care and Ethics, “Laying the Groundwork for the Theory of Culture Care. Sioux Valley Hospital, Sioux Falls, South Dakota. June 23, 2004.
- Sioux Valley Hospital Auxillary, Sioux Falls, SD. The Greek Connection: Embracing Transcultural Caring in Ancient and Modern Greece. March 6, 2004.
- Living Nursing Scholarship: Research, Theory and Practice. Sigma Theta Tau International Conference, Zeta Zeta and Pi Chapters. Sioux Falls, SD. The Greek Connection – Presentation and Poster. April 16, 2004
- Parish Nurse Symposium Presenter. Community Assessment, Augustana College Sioux Falls, SD, June 2004.
- American Nurses Association l986 - l995. 2000 –
- South Dakota Nurses Association:
- Member, District 10
- Nominating Committee 1991
- Program Committee, State Convention, 1989
- District 9 Board of Directors, l990 - l992
- Image Task Force Member 1999
- Augustana Student Nursing Association (ANSA) Advisor.
- Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society. 1989 - present
- Zeta Zeta Chapter
- Nominating Committee, 1993
- Vice President, l996
- Faculty Advisor, 2003
- Transcultural Nursing Society, 2000-present
- Central Baptist Church, Member, Children's Club Director; Christian Education Board; Sanctuary Choir; Youth Advisory Council, Mission Board
- Intervarsity Christian Fellowship; alumnus, local committee
- Nurse's Christian Fellowship; volunteer staff, student advisor, Augustana College
- Augustana Women, Member
- Unit Coordinators Advisory Board, Southeast Technical Technical Institute. Sioux Falls, SD
- Parent/Teacher’s Association Member, Sioux Falls.
- Associates of the Center for Ethics and Caring, Sioux Falls, SD
- Habitat for Humanity, Charter Member, Sioux Falls
- South Dakota Perinatal Association, September 1993
- "Spiritual Care: A Health Care Perspective" program committee member
- Advisory Board, Health Careers, Sioux Falls, SD, Public School System.
- Governor Janklow's Citizen Taskforce at Custer Developmental Center, Custer, South Dakota. l995
- Governor Janklow's Citizen Taskforce at Redfield Developmental Center, Redfield,SD. 1996.
- South Dakota Board of Nursing, Appointed August, l996. Term expired July 2003.
- SD Board of Nursing Task Force for the Development of theory-based regulatory practice. December, l996
- Advisory Board, Southeast Vocational-Technical Institute, Surgical Technology Program. Sioux Falls, January, l997.
- Parish Nurse Advisory Board, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD. May l997.
- Health Cabinet Member, Central Baptist Church, Sioux Falls, SD Aug. l997
- Ethics Committee appointment, Children’s Care School and Hospital, Sioux Falls, SD. December. 1997 – 2000
- Secretary - South Dakota Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners/South Dakota Board of Nursing Joint Board. Elected September l998.
- President - South Dakota Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners/South Dakota Board of Nursing, 1999-2000.
- Transcultural Nursing Society, Member 1999 to present.
- Graduate Program Advisory Board, Student representative, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD. 1999-2000 term.
- Adult Sunday School Class Coordinator, Central Baptist Church, Sioux Falls, SD. 1999-2000 term.
- Advisory Board Member, LPN Program. Southeast Vocational Technical Institute.
- Sioux Falls, South Dakota – 2001
- Secretary, South Dakota Board of Nursing. 2000- 2001
- Ethics Committee – Avera McKennan Hospital. 2001 – present
- USDMS Ethics Section – Appointed January 2004 to present
Scholarly and Creative Activities:
- Currently enrolled in M.A. program - Selected Studies with Bio-Medical focus and M.A. in Nursing, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD.
- Module Curriculum Revision Writer – USD
- Member - Center for Ethics and Caring Associates, Sioux Falls, SD.
- Consultant - "Safety Syringe" SBIR proposal to the Department of Health and Human Services, December l994.
- Member of South Dakota HIV/AIDS Community Planning Committee, representing Sioux Falls and East River. 1994 - l998.
- Train-the Trainer Presenter for South Dakota/Mountain Plains AIDS
- Ethics Practicum, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD Educational Training Center. Lewis and Clark Area Health Education Center. Yankton, SD. 1987 - present Intern member at Veteran's Hospital, McKennan Hospital, CCHS and First Friday's at Sioux Valley Hospital.
- Published photographer for Backyard Oaks, Inc. Sioux Falls, SD and Sioux Valley Hospital, Sioux Falls.
- UMAIE Course proposal accepted for January Interim, 2004 - 2008 to Greece
- Course entitled – The Greek Connection: Embracing Transcultural Caring in Ancient and Modern Greece.
- Article publication in Greek nursing journal, July 2003, May 2004, July 2005.
Honors and Recognition:
- Governor’s Recognition for service on Custer and Redfield Taskforces.
- Service Award - McKennan Hospital.
- Service Award - Sioux Falls Public School System
- Travel Award - Office of Research, University of South Dakota, October 1999
- Service Recognition – University of South Dakota, May 2000.
- Joy of Nursing Award, South Dakota Nurses Association. October 2003
- Dakota Masterworks Art Show – Photography , 2003-2006.
- The Leininger Breakthrough Award for creative and scholarly work. October 2005.
- Friends of ANTSA (Augustana Non-Traditional Student Association) Award. November 2006.
- Current letter for request to obtain leadership grant from Helene Fuld. Submitted in March 2000. Co-director, June Larson, RN, MSN. University of South Dakota.
- Faculty Enhancement Grant application for transcultural nursing search. Fall 2000. Grant request denied. Fall 2001.
- Stipend Award for Transcultural Nursing Seminar, University of Nebraska, Omaha, NE. May 2001.
- Bush Faculty Development Grant – Information Literacy. Co-author, Judith Howard. Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD
- Bush Faculty Development Grant – The Exploration and Development of Opportunities for Nursing Faculty and Students Through Experiences in Nursing and Health Care at the University of Saskatchewan and Aboriginal Communities and health care agencies in Saskatchewan, Canada. Submitted, March 2005/Awarded and implemented in May and July 2005.
- Bush Faculty Development Grant for the implementation of a course that has transcultural care as its major focus. Implemented in Fall 2006 in general education course GENL 297 – Transcultural Caring for the Helping Professions
Back to Faculty & Staff page